Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and saw a really good blues band at a local venue last Friday, the Jeremiah Johnson Band. I was talking to Jeremiah during the intermission, mainly to find out what kind of neck pickup he used (Lollar?) because it sounded so good, but he said his guitar was wired kind of different. He is a Delaney endorsed artist and mentioned that his custom guitar is wired so when the 5-way is on the neck pickup he has a pot that can bring in the bridge humbucker. Anyone ever heard of this wiring or have an idea how to do it?

Also... if you like the blues, check out the guy:

https://jeremiahjohnsonband.com/

Really good tight band, solid great-sounding blues guitar with some cool licks here and there... but the sax player killed it all night! Great time.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i had a similar setup in a project RG/JEM that i added a 3rd humbucker to. I wired a mini-toggle in so i could add the bridge to whatever position i was on. I had the 5 way wired up strat style just with humbuckers so there was wasn't an option to do neck and bridge. was an easy mod to do. You could do the same with an extra 1 meg or no load volume.

the easiest way to do it is to find the hot out from your switch and then just run a jumper from the bridge pick terminal of the switch. So on a spdt mini toggle one of the outside terminals will be your bridge pickup hot, the center will will have a jumper between the other outside terminal. This will be for both your hot switch output and your tone control output. This means you are always on and just adding the bridge when you want to. The configuration would be similar for the added volume pot. Unlike the master volume you wouldn't ground out one of the outside terminals.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a similar setup in a project RG/JEM that i added a 3rd humbucker to. I wired a mini-toggle in so i could add the bridge to whatever position i was on. I had the 5 way wired up strat style just with humbuckers so there was wasn't an option to do neck and bridge. was an easy mod to do. You could do the same with an extra 1 meg or no load volume.

the easiest way to do it is to find the hot out from your switch and then just run a jumper from the bridge pick terminal of the switch. So on a spdt mini toggle one of the outside terminals will be your bridge pickup hot, the center will will have a jumper between the other outside terminal. This will be for both your hot switch output and your tone control output. This means you are always on and just adding the bridge when you want to. The configuration would be similar for the added volume pot. Unlike the master volume you wouldn't ground out one of the outside terminals.
Sorry, I sort of fell off the planet for a while. Thanks for the great reply... Sounds like a logical way to do it. I have a cheapo strat pickguard to play with, so I can wire it up with some extra pickups and swap it into my Iba-strat at next string change. Awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts