Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a compelling reason that I should not be thinking of getting one of the hard disc recorders like a tascam or boss? I do have a computer that would probably handle the recording software, but the idea of a unit I can take to friends houses is appealing. I do have a sm57 or two around the house already...

Zach

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Nope. Plenty of good reasons to go that way. But since you already have a PC that you could do fancymixdowns on (standalone recorders are often lacking in some FX, and none have the flexibility of a good PC program), I'd choose one with an eye toward uploading files into the PC. Most have some way of doing this.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can't see why anyone would want to work on a stand alone HD recorder, except for maybe portability. And even then a laptop is better. Let's see, a 15"-17" color screen, or a tiny B&W screen? No thanks. I'll never go back. Plus, how are you going to expand upon a stand alone? In most cases it's limited or impossible.

·
Registered
448 Posts
PC recording is cool, and even with a slightly slower cpu you can do lotsa stuff (self running AMD athlon 1GHz, Cubase SE, EA Layla 3G).

The only ****ty thing is to get that muthaquacker STABLE and solid. It's possible but can be a pain in the mighty behind.

If I had some $$$ and could do it all over again, I'd get a Mac in a heartbeat.

You should also be aware of the fact that having all those options available may actually have an adverse effect on your creativity. That said, once you have your basic tools figured out and have ditched the whatchamacallits, you're good to rock.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well, the original poster specifically mentioned portability. Plus, if you don't already have a laptop, the cost is considerable - laptop, sound card/device that doesn't suck, maybe an extra hard drive. You can get an 8 track HD recorder for much less, record wherever, and xfer files to your main PC if you want all the fancy stuff. I do this myself and it works out well. I actually HAVE a laptop that has enough balls to record well, but I don't use it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.