Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^ Yep. A black Tele for the song live. Freddie would play a cream one. Don't know if he ever used an Ibanez on anything, though I believe he owns a JS which Satriani gave him. He might have a Jem too, knowing that Steve is a big fan, I'm sure he's given him one.

Indeed, the V was a live backup for a year or two, between smashing the Birch copy and the first Guilds. I'm not sure what model it was - tobacco burst, double cream pups, stoptail kinda far back from the tune-o-matic.

For the 'Play the Game' music video, he's sporting some kind of MIJ Strat copy; in 'Princes of the Universe', a Washburn RRV. These were just for music videos, afaik.

In the early 70s, he had Fender Strats and LP Deluxes with mini hums as live backups. And, seemingly a black Custom! Didn't know this till now. Looks like an early Norlin with Bigsby, full size hums and witch hat knobs. I'd say it's 1st-2nd album period. If you look for pics of early Queen gigs, these other guitars show up.

And a fun one just to keep it within the forum remit ;). I think from over a decade ago now, when he was road testing the 'Super' prototype.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Way back in the eighties, I had a DiMarzio humbucker that was a Brian May Signature(with a special logo embossed on the backplate) and he sure never put those in the Red Special! Great sounding pickup in a mahogany Phil Kubicki strat!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Yep. A black Tele for the song live. Freddie would play a cream one. Don't know if he ever used an Ibanez on anything, though I believe he owns a JS which Satriani gave him. He might have a Jem too, knowing that Steve is a big fan, I'm sure he's given him one.

Indeed, the V was a live backup for a year or two, between smashing the Birch copy and the first Guilds. I'm not sure what model it was - tobacco burst, double cream pups, stoptail kinda far back from the tune-o-matic.

For the 'Play the Game' music video, he's sporting some kind of MIJ Strat copy; in 'Princes of the Universe', a Washburn RRV. These were just for music videos, afaik.

In the early 70s, he had Fender Strats and LP Deluxes with mini hums as live backups. And, seemingly a black Custom! Didn't know this till now. Looks like an early Norlin with Bigsby, full size hums and witch hat knobs. I'd say it's 1st-2nd album period. If you look for pics of early Queen gigs, these other guitars show up.

And a fun one just to keep it within the forum remit ;). I think from over a decade ago now, when he was road testing the 'Super' prototype.
For the Play the Game video, he used a Satellite branded strat copy. On the studio version of Crazy on The Game album, he used a 50’s Tele or Esquire that he borrowed for Roger Taylor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts