Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the market today for 7 string guitars, it is dominated by Shecter models.

They have around 7 or 8 models to choose from, Ibanez has how many? 4? 5? And how many of those are high-end expensive guitars (K7, UV) that cost over $1000?

Shecter has affordable 7s that are of a quality build; AND they don't skimp on the pickups; you can get a great looking and playing instrument with real EMGs or real Seymour Duncans in it for $400-$500. The RG7321 -- now made in Indonesia and of questionable quality in the newer models (not the older Korean ones) -- come equipped with crap Ibanez pickups.

What's the deal here? Ibanez has always dominated this market. If you wanted a 7, Ibanez was almost always the first company to look at.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Actually, for real EMG's and Duncans, you're looking probably $600+.

That said, while they're targeting a completely different demographic than Ibanez (generally, slightly extended scales, beefier necks, mahogany guitars with fixed bridges, etc), Schecter is certainly on the short list of companies every seven stringer owes it to themselves to check out. I was SERIOUSLY impressed with the new C7 Hellraiser in black cherry - a few minor cosmetic issues, but the thing plays and sounds phenominal.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
You've been seriously impressed with it for months on end now, so how come you've never pulled the trigger? I thought the "Well, I got my Hellraiser" post was coming months ago.... ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think Ibanez should be the ones doing more 7s because they're famous for them and in my experience they're more ergonomic. One thing I don't like about most Schecter 7s is the extended scale.

And what's with people giving such differing reports about the RG7321? Some people say the quality's really dodgy, but others say they've tried loads of copies (Korean and Indonesian) and they've never found a bad one. And there's nothing stopping you from upgrading the pickups (my intentions assuming I get one and my ears are dissatisfied), so at £440 when you include the rough costs of both the guitar and new pickups, is about the same as a cheap Schecter, which probably has Schecter-made stock pickups in it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would say hell yes. Extended scale necks. String through bodies. Oh yeah. I dont think anyone can beat Schecter in the 7 string market right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think Ibanez got a bit dull to say the least. They haven't changed really for as long as I can remember, schecter is experimenting with some new designs, chapes, finishes and pickups..., not to mention the strings througs, set neck, extended scale, mahogany body and emg's/duncan's. At the moment I'd say schecter has more to offer (to me) then Ibanez does for Ibanez is offering me even less then they did 6 years ago. While schecter is moving forward I feel Ibanez is moving backwards.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Perhaps if they gave more colour options to the existing 7s (hardly a big task compared to bringing out a new model) that'd liven things up a bit.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I think Schecter has been putting out some beautiful 7s lately, to me however, although they are nice, the necks don't feel as great as the necks on my Ibanez 7s. I do own a Schecter C-1 Elite (white) 6-string though and that feels great. :)

I'd say try out Ibanez too. The neck might feel better to you than the Schecter. ;)

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
There's been rumours of a Jeff Loomis signature model Hellraiser going around for ages now, fettouhi. ;) He's been seen with Hellraisers with fixed bridges, and Hellraisers routed for a Floyd, and as they already sell the fixed-bridge Hellraiser, if they give the project the go-ahead I'm guessing we'll see a Floyd sig model. As they already produce a lefty Hellraiser, it wouldn't shock me if they do a lefty trem version too. ;)

Regardless of whether Nevermore is your sort of thing (I didn't care for the last one, but "Dead Heart in a Dead World" is freakin' awesome), the dude is a monster ad totaly deserves a signature axe. I hope they do it. :D

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
There's been rumours of a Jeff Loomis signature model Hellraiser going around for ages now, fettouhi. ;) He's been seen with Hellraisers with fixed bridges, and Hellraisers routed for a Floyd, and as they already sell the fixed-bridge Hellraiser, if they give the project the go-ahead I'm guessing we'll see a Floyd sig model. As they already produce a lefty Hellraiser, it wouldn't shock me if they do a lefty trem version too. ;)
That would be nice :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
yeah i'd say that schecter is pretty competitive in the market periode and yeah they do make a few 7 strings models . They are really good company , they put in good pickups at fair prices and thier guitars are good quality . They have a good thing going.

i can't wait till rusty cooley gets his 7 string put out by dean . If it is fairly competitive cost wise i look to see it do ok , i know that if it is cheaper i'll probably pick one up . I dont think it will be though , it is going to have stock emg 707s , i could be surprised at the price but i figure around 800 .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts