Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I have to say a giant thanks to Nikki for selling me this guitar. To be honest, it was a bit of a fling, as I have never even held a UV (of any sort) prior to taking this out of the case. My main guitar is (was) a 76 Les Paul Custom, all beat to hell. I play out with the LP, take it to practice, etc. I knew I needed another guitar, and wanted one that could start where the LP ends, and make all of the tones that the LP could not.

I thought long and hard. I looked at higher end Hamers, Jacksons, Kramers (old ones), even tried to find an old Steinberger (with a trans trem). As an aside, I realized how many really ****ty guitars there are out there, and how few really good guitars show up in guitar stores (GCs problem, as we all know, is that no one sets them up properly, they just toss them onto the walls). I even looked at other LP Standards and Customs, but new ones suck. I hate Fender guitars (not the brand, but the feel of the guitars), so that was not an option.

I then started thinking about Ibanez. I loved the sabres (prior to everything being called "series", which tells you how long ago I was even looking at Ibanez:)), and sort of liked the old RG series.

I never even considered a Jem. Too expensive, too signature model, too hard to get. However, I have most of the Steve Vai issues from the late 80s, and remember reading about the Universes, and how cool they sounded on Slip of the tongue (do you realize that album came out in 89?!!?!). But I never considered one, since I was a poor highschool student, and then a poor college student, then a poor grad student....

And then, this xmas, I found Jemsite. I started reading about the Jems and Universes, and something just clicked. I just decided I had to have a Universe. I am also in the process of really rededicating myself to guitar and music, practicing again, recording, gigging, etc., so the Universe seemed like the perfect guitar to take to my own next level.

Literally, when I read Nikki's classified ad, I had been looking at jemsite for about 2 days total. I looked at the pics, and just decided "this is it". Sent Nikki an email, talked on the phone, bought it.

I have never held an instrument that is so, well, perfect. The perfect intersection of playability, versatility, and value. A prior owner to Nikki put an Evo 7 in the bridge, and replaced the pickguard and changed the pickup colors (blaze still in the neck and middle). All the mods are great, really add to the instrument.

Here is a picture of it:

It is just perfect. Couple of teeny nicks, but that just makes me feel better about using it. Sounds awesome, great action. I have to do an intonation setup on it, but other than that it plays like a dream.

Ill probably throw one of those trem locks (that are supposed to be manufactured any day now, I don't remember the name) on it, and that is about it. I basically haven't put it down since I got it. I now have a way to get all those other tones. It compliments the LP perfectly. I have the flexibility of the 7th string, great pickup config choices.

Also, it is smaller than I remember. I guess I have gotten a bit bigger since Highschool.:)

Thanks again Nikki.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Very nice. I remember seeing that on Ninth Eye's website and wanting it badly, then, when he was selling it, I was kicking myself because I wished I had the cash right then and there. :lol:

Congrats, man, sweet guitar. That would make a perfect evil twin for my PWH. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok so i live in the UK and i would like to know where to get different coloured pickguards for my universe. A black one would be superb.

any help would be great as google is becoming irritating when flicking through endless piles of nonsense.

Gaz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.