Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ibanez S520EX and the Arm socket broke for the first time yesterday, and I was reading up and saw that it MIGHT be possible to replace the arm socket with that of a Floyd Rose, I think that would be a good idea because its alot easier to take the arm on and off for traveling purposes.....Im not sure whether to go that route or to just replace the part straight up.... recommendations would be appreciated

Thank You

Nick

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Its definitely possible, because I've done it.

The only problem I have with the swap is that a) the arm shape is different. Not 'bad' different, but different.

and b) Theres ALWAYS a tiny eensy weensy little bit of play in the holder, no matter how hard you tighten things up to each other. The original ZR arm might get loose easily, but at least when its tight, the arm is completely solid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice so the floyd arm socket is better and even though the feel of the arm is different it is still a solid way to go....there might be a way to get rid of the play in the holder by adding a washer or something

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Before you do that, look into getting a stronger replacement machined for the original socket. I personally think the original socket is superior, if you overlook reliability.

there are a couple of ways you could do it, and a couple guys on the internet who make em (google em up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts