Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I know I already have other thread opened, but since it is from a different subject, I decided to make this one.

I have my RG350 since October last year, it was my first guitar, ever.
It was made on 2006, and it was a display guitar.
I kinda feel ripped off, because being a display guitar, it was probably played by tons of people.

I believe it was "new" because it had all the plastics= pick guard, on the pickups, etc...
And being 3 years old is good because the Wood is more developed, right?

I believe that this is more Gear Acquiring Syndrome, because I dont need a new guitar, but I want new material haha.

I have a Cube 30X amp, but I want something better, I am searching for a better sound.

I thought about getting a Tone Port UX2, or a PodXT, which one would be a better option?

Guitarwise:
What would be better?
Getting a JEM7V (I really love this, it has 2 Dimarzio Evolution and an Edge Pro)
Get a EGen (Edge Zero and Evos)
RG2550Z ("Generic" Dimarzio and Edge Zero)

ESP Horizon FR II

OR

Heavy Mod my RG350:

Get Dimarzio Pickups (dunno the model, but I am planning to change all of the pickups)
Get an Edge Pro (since Edge Zero require routing mods)

Change the tuners on the headstock, because, I seriously believe that the problem I have with my guitar is made by the tuners (the sound of having something shaking inside the headstock is made by something broken inside of the tuner, most probably)

Get a guitar setup.

Basically, having this guitar in perfect condition.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
A modified RG350 will never equal a Jem or Egen. It may be a nice guitar, but it will always be a nice RG350. I would not mod it past maybe improving the pickups and or tuners if they are broken if you were planning on keeping the guitar.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I thought about getting a Tone Port UX2, or a PodXT, which one would be a better option?
Apples and oranges. The toneport is a recording interface with software running on your computer that simulates amplifiers,effects,etc. The podXT has all off the effects, etc on board and does not require your computer to work. Neither of the two is an amplifier.
So for home use and recording only : Tone port
For portable tone and some recording benefits: PodXT
For a good amp: Chek the stores for stuff like ValveKings, AVT50, HT5c, spider valve for flexibility, stuff like that.

·
Registered
940 Posts
IF you are going to mod it, don't worry about the edge pro unless you really hate cutting the ball ends off strings, it isn't worth the hundreds of dollars or what currency you have, the edge 3 works fine.( And could you please put your location on your profile to help with currency and suggestions :) )

If I was going do the mod I'd stick with PUps and the neck, I find the neck one of the most important parts in playability.

Also, it is probably more cost effective to get a non-signature guitar, like a prestige RG/S.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I live in Portugal, I believe that 160€ on pickups would be a better choice than 2260€ (on DV247.com) on a JEM or €2,154.59 on a EGen...

Amp wise:
Would this combo be good?

engl-e330

A Power Ball from Engl would be good too, I think

I want a Tone Port or a Pod XT because it has many amp models and is relatively cheap...

But having a kick ass prestige would be win.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a similar story to tell =)

I wanted a Jem but didn't have the money so I bought a rg350dx.

I changed the pups to dimarzio evolutions but then decided to try a MIJ guitar, I found an awesome JC rg1880 and sold the rg350 to gather funds for it.

...buut still lacking a guitar with a monkey grip and lion claw, I decided to build one. So I found a cheap rg350 in parts and went ahead and how should I say "heavy mod my rg350" ;)

This is the result on the right, together with my rg1880.
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/23/img1665qy2.jpg

I can say I probably spent as much as a player Jem doing the mod on the 350 but I dont regret it. It plays really well. =)

Long rant but still not done... After all this money and time spent I still had to get me a real Jem7vwh. I could have saved up my money a few months and I would have had a real Jem in the first place =)

But still it got me involved in guitar building and I now have a JC a homemade "Jem" with sustainer and a Jem7vwh and a jem77brmr... I think I have to go out and find another Jem now...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I personally don't like PODs, cause many many people can't use them right. I would suggest getting a new amp. The VOX AD50 was recommended above, which I can't stress enough, that is a really nice amp. Tube powered, onboard amp models+effects. I have the AD30, and use it tons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am looking at getting a 350 and putting an Evo 2 in the bridge and an original Evolution in the neck, not quite sure yet about the middle single coil though. But if you are still interested in a Pod i have a Podxt Pro for sale, mint condition. PM me if you are interested at all

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sorry to bump this, but I saw the Spider Valve 212, and I am in LOVE
haha

520€, I think it is not too expensive...
40W 2X12'' speakers...

Can I gig with it?
Like, in a bar, can I play and be heard, with someone playing on drums?

I sorry for my grammar, but English isnt my first language.

At the moment I have a Cube30X, a Pod 2.0 and a RG350 (Stock, no mods).

I can play with the Cube30X and the Pod at the same time, and get a Good sound.

I like my RG350 and Pod 2.0 sound, and I wont change my gear soon...
This gear that I have, lasted 1 year.

If I get the SpiderValve, can I get my GAS satiated for another 1 year or so?
Hahahahaha

Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, I am still thinking...

This amp is very versatile, but shelling out 530€ is a bit hard ahaha

I am doing 1 year practice this October 24.

Maybe next year or so haha

This amp is great.
Tubes, tons of stuff...

you can use the POD 2.0 with it?

I have the FBV Pedal, can I use it with the 212?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.