Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is the deal, I am beating myself up trying to decide here. I have the chance to buy (a) a brand new dead mint 15th anniversary 77FP with case, signed back plate and all that...or (b) a great condition '88 77FP with a little bit of belt buckle scratching, none thru the clearcoat. It comes with original case and candy. My dilemma. I can only get one of them, as the wife would rip my sack off otherwise. I also have a 93 7VWH, mint, which I bought brand new in Tokyo in 93. And I just acquired about a month ago, a '92 (neck plate says '91, produced vs released) GMC, which is so mint I couldn't beleive it, stunning swirl, yes I will post pics soon. Little pitting on the neck plate and very little bit on the trem. So, should I continue my trend of getting first year models, or should I get the new one, the last year they made them? I haven't heard anything about the new trem on the 15th anniversary model. Anyone? Help?!?!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I didnt know there was a 15th anniversary 77FP? the USA must get what we don't.

Get both guitars if I were you. You wasn't born to be bossed about by a woman, that wasn't the deal when you met her. You're not owned by her. It's your money, you earn it, so long as bills are paid, then it's up to you.

This is the way it works in my house and I won't be told otherwise, start as you mean to go on ;)

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, for starters, make no mistake, I do what I want with my money and I make my own decisions. I have been in the Marine Corps for 15 years and just got back from 7 months in Fallujah, I am a big boy. That said, I do what is right for both me and my wife of 10 years. It's a marriage, to not consult her on a major financial deal would simply be disrespectful. She let me spend 2500 on the GMC and didn't complain. That was a month ago. Now I'm pushing it. She lets me do what I want, but I don't out of respect. It is a fine wire we walk, eh? Kind of like trying to play with 008's.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK,OK, thanks Ant for the reply, I would love to get both, but thats not happening. So, to try to get back onpoint, does anyone know anything about the new edge pro trem's? Also, Ant, yeah, the 15th anniversary ones were just the same exact thing as everyone else was getting, just with a signed extra electronics cover. I think it was a limited run also, so should it be more desirable? More than an '88?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would take '88 77FP. In the other hand 15th anniversary 77FP would be little valuable since it's anniversary and some kind of limited run. But '88 FP will be some day a vintage guitar, it's pretty old now, nearly 20 years. What's the price?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Can you try them both first?? I have a mint 88FP and I love it. (also an 89 FP) I would say if the 88 plays better then buy it. After all it IS a first year model. Pups mounted directly to the Pickguard. Original trem, etc. If for some reason it doesn't play so well (as I have heard that some of the older ones don't - but I've never been a witness to that) then get the 15th. It's hard to pass up a mint Floral;) Anyhow - if the 88 plays great and everything's okay with it GET IT!!!

BTW - did you say your were going to pay $ 2,000 for it??

That seems quite high to me, but then I suppose you are subject to European pricing???

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am either going to trade my PRS custom 22 for it, or pay him $2000, whichever he wants after he plays his friends PRS. To be honest, the money isn't really an issue. Not that I'm rich or anything, but I bought my 93 7VWH new and it is really the only guitar that is comfortable to me. So I have decided to just go with Jems only. I am so happy with the GMC I just got, the PAF's are incredible, and it feels great. So I am getting rid of all my other guitars and just getting all the Jems I have ever wanted. Next after the FP I have to find a BFP. That won't be easy. Maybe even a LNG. But since the 2 I have now are first years, I would like to continue that trend. If he wants to trade, I will probably go there and do it in person so we can play the others guitar to make sure. But I don't have the chance to play the 15th anniversary, but new as it is, it should be fine I would think.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Gilk420 said:
Not that I'm rich or anything, but I bought my 93 7VWH new and it is really the only guitar that is comfortable to me. So I have decided to just go with Jems only. . Next after the FP I have to find a BFP. That won't be easy. Maybe even a LNG.
Me too. All my other guitars are gone. It's Jems only for me (5 soon to be 6)

I also have a 92 BFP. It is the Jem I seem to be playing most lately. Love that Maple. They are harder to find than FP's, but if money is not an issure you should be able find without too much difficulty. Trust me - you'll love it:D

If you want to see my babies, go to the "It's polish day" thread:)

BTW - I REALLY want a GMC!!

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the chance to get a BFP about 2 weeks ago, the one on the bay that went for a buy it now of 1950. What a tool, he could've gotten a lot more for it. He offered it to me for 1700, I told him I'll take it, and an hour later it was on the bay, it sold like 2 hours after it was on there, I was very close to getting it. The GMC was pure luck, I'm telling you, it is mint. I am just floored. It is the first Jem I have gotten in 13 years and it really made me wonder what I was thinking buying anything else. Jems only from now on. The 88 FP will be my third.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, I did see your post about polish day and I must admit, I was LNG with envy. You have a beautiful collection. Hopefully I will have a collection that large and nice soon.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Gilk420 said:
I had the chance to get a BFP about 2 weeks ago, the one on the bay that went for a buy it now of 1950. What a tool, he could've gotten a lot more for it. He offered it to me for 1700, I told him I'll take it, and an hour later it was on the bay, it sold like 2 hours after it was on there, I was very close to getting it. The GMC was pure luck, I'm telling you, it is mint. I am just floored. It is the first Jem I have gotten in 13 years and it really made me wonder what I was thinking buying anything else. Jems only from now on. The 88 FP will be my third.
Bummer - well keep looking, one will pop up. Start a thread here. Wow....a mint GMC. That is soo sweet man! Now who's the envious one:) Thanks for the comments on my babies:)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I can't remember seeing an anniversary 77FP here in England. As for the edge pro, its a good trem, just looks different to what we are used to, but its here to stay, so i guess we gotta accept it, if we want to stay with Ibanez.

I'd love a GMC too. So far my jems are the 7PBK, 7VWh, 77FP, 77BFB and 777SK :D

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Ant1981 said:
I can't remember seeing an anniversary 77FP here in England. As for the edge pro, its a good trem, just looks different to what we are used to, but its here to stay, so i guess we gotta accept it, if we want to stay with Ibanez.

I'd love a GMC too. So far my jems are the 7PBK, 7VWh, 77FP, 77BFB and 777SK :D
Nice collection:)

Yeah - the 15th FP came out in 2003. Nice way to get a MINT FP;)

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, the one in England is on Evilbay UK, Item number: 7388368785. I THINK he has it listed wrong. He says it is serial number F0324442, which he says makes it a 93, but according to Rich, Ibanez didn't start using 7 digits until 1997, so that would of course be impossible. Also, it has the signed backplate which came with the 2003 15th anniversary models. Of course, he could've just had a 93 signed, but it is in line with 15th anniversary. Can't really tell from his crappy pics, but looks like the new trem also. Amazing how much time you spend disecting a Jem when you are thinking about buying it.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If someone tells me how, I can post a pic of the GMC on here. I know I'm supposed to use photobucket, but one small pic wouldn't hurt, would it? jjemmer777, u r the law in here right? (site contributor)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.