Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have a Gmajor effects unit and an Maudio Firewire solo breakout box..

1.is it always usual to add your effects after the recording, so record more of a raw but EQ'd sound? or are there pros to recording all effects straight through the amp?

2. if i do place the effects on later, do i make a digital loop from breakout to Gmajor via the S/PDIF connectors or do i use the 1/4" input and output jacks on both to make a different loop? what's the difference?

3. anyone used this sort of gear to do this before? any tips on doing it, i mean with getting the track to send to the effects unit and return and somehow get recorded with the effects... (i'm sure if it's possible then i'll fogure some of it out once i get the loop plugged in i guess but any tips would be appreciated)

none of this stuff is covered in any of the manuals with the gear :S
Many thanks for any help you can give!! :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: help! basic questions about effects units with recording interfaces(breakout boxes)

ok i think i've found out that i should record with eq, compressors, etc on the amp. then do modulation, delays, reverbs etc post-recording..

can anyone give an answer on which loop i should use??

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: help! basic questions about effects units with recording interfaces(breakout boxes)

i think i've figured out both loops would probably work but i want the spdif because the signal can stay digital, if i used the other then it would convert between analog and digital many times during the loop.

so problem solved... i think..

will get some spdif cables to try it soon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts