Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the whole recording thing but would like to get started. What I want to do is record my electric guitar parts using some kind of software...and then be able to make songs with it...you know, by using programs to mix and/or add drum parts and everything. I've seen that program EZ drummer and it seemed cool. So, here is what I have, and I was hoping you guys could tell me what I need to get started. Basically I have a typical rack rig that I was hoping to mic. That didn't take long...lol. So, how do I go from playing my guitar through my rack rig and cab...to getting it onto my computer?? What items do I need such as equipment, to transfer the sound from my speaker(cabinet) to the computer? Also, what software should I be using to record, or mix..I don't know I'm confused. And also, will most software allow me to mix drum beats with the guitar parts that I record and create?? I am looking to make music!! Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey man

Your signal chain will be something like this

Rack > mic > preamp/mixingdesk/firewire or usb interface > PC > Recording software with VST drums plugin

MICS: try a SM57 to mic against your cab and a Condenser mic (try an audio technika at4040) for recording the cab a little bit back - by mixing these 2 sounds you can get some real hip tones.

Interfaces : Get a good dedicated preamp , or an all in one interface like the m audio projectmix.

PC: You probably typed your post on this :p

Recording software : Checkout Sonar 8 Producer edition , its my favourite of all the recording softwares , and pretty easy to get to grips with. You can pay $700 for this or goto a torrent site and download a perfectly fine ISO copy.... Guess which one i did ;)

Drums: while youre on that torrent site, download ez drummer drumkit from hell :D

And now , LET THERE BE ROCK !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts