Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- SN 515319 (dated as 1976 @fender.com, but have had confilicting info from 73-76)
- 21 frets
- maple fretboard
- hardtail (3 screw, no tremolo)
- headstock similar to a 75
- colour ?? (closet blonde? definately not white, almost pale shade of pink)
- pickguard, nobs etc are white
- 3 single coil pickups

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dont have any without the neck and pickguard..Ive been informed that precise info can be attained without them so I am looking to have that done. Somewhat relucted to let anyone touch it though :-(

Here are what I have.....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
70s hardtail model. My teacher has one in a natural finish. One thing i think is great on it is the screw that lets you adjust neck shim without actually having to shim it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used to have one like that myself.
Fender Stratocaster 1978
Made in USA, Hardtail see thru blonde ash...very similar to the one in the pic.
Mine was very heavy weight and pretty rough to play (compared to my then
new Fender Stratocaster Am Std 1991), but I got mine very cheap and it looked cool so...Mine came with black pick guard and knobs coz it was a late 80´s

Do you have a pic of the headstock or any more pics of the neck?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will send pics soon.

She is a quiet weighty, but does play beautiful. Have played a lot of other strats and she definately is one of the best (not biased as others have said the same :)).

Tell me about neck shimming please.

Cant believe its so hard to date and value a guitar... little lone my super trem 100w marshall head.

Cheers
Tania

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The strat you have has a screw that controls the effect given by a shim without shimming. Its right below the lowest backplate screw. Loosen the other screws first though. You'll damage it other wise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom Gilroy said:
The strat you have has a screw that controls the effect given by a shim without shimming. Its right below the lowest backplate screw. Loosen the other screws first though. You'll damage it other wise.
Dont worry... I am really hesitant to play with things. Is it behind the neckplate? Is shimming like a sound effect? Sorry have the flu bad and mind isnt working too good.

Cheers
Tania

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Shimming is where you can adjust the angle the neck itself sits at on the body. It's not a sound effect. If your hesitant to play with it then don't. It cange your action and if you like it the way it is then don't go at it. I wouldn't.

Shimming is normally done by putting something between the neck and the body. You have a better and easier system in your strat.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Thats a nice old strat. Looks like it's in good shape too. It should be easy enough to find the value. Just keep an eye on th**** and see what similar guitars go for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom, thanks for the clarification. Its great to get useful info. BTW... dont worry, I love the action and wont be playing with it, its good to know.

At least I loved the action until last night.... I took the pickguard off her and had her dated at 76.. thanx to a great help @stratocaster.com

Rotti,
Glad you like her.. she is in mint condition and plays sweet as.

Still trying to clarify the colour...

Cheers
Tania

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom Gilroy said:
Shimming is where you can adjust the angle the neck itself sits at on the body. It's not a sound effect. If your hesitant to play with it then don't. It cange your action and if you like it the way it is then don't go at it. I wouldn't.

Shimming is normally done by putting something between the neck and the body. You have a better and easier system in your strat.
Finally took the neck off, now I appreciate what you truly mean by it effecting the action. I think I like it better now :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom Gilroy said:
Good. Did the screw mechanism work ok for you. I've heard some can be a bitch to turn.
Hi Tom..

Scew worked easy.. lucky me by the sounds of it.

Cheers
Tania

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IbanezNorthwest said:
Where you at in Aus?? I'll help you take it apart :)
In central Victoria.. bet youd love to help :)

Where abouts in NSW are you ?

Cheers
Tania

1 - 18 of 18 Posts