Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up on the "Bay" cheap, sanded it down to the wood, and stained it. I held up an RG550 pickguard to it and it doesn't match up. It is routed for a 22 fret neck, 25 1/2 inch scale length, with a slight overhang of the fretboard. I have a generic neck like this that I measured it up to.

I have no idea what RG it is, if it is at all. My plans for it are actually to do a Jem style project in white adding a white pearl pickguard, custom made since stock doesn't fit. I already have the neck to fit it, but I was just wondering if anyone knew by looking what this actually was.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Looks like it had a pickup ring on the middle single - weird.

My bet is that it is a Roadstar of some description, judging by the outline. They had RGxxx names too, so I suppose it is technically an RG, just not what we would think of as one, and not really where you want to start for a Jem style project.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I didn't think it was an RG, but I thought I'd ask the experts if it was recognizable.

I love to tinker around and do projects, so I'm going to go ahead and prime it, paint it white, and then see what it looks like. The body only cost me $20 so it's worth cleaning up a little if only to repost it on an auction.

Thanks, I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Looks like it nay be a Yamaha or Aria body - the old Roadstars had a strange sort of "kink" in the shape of the horns which this body doesn't seem to have - front looks like it may have been an Ash veneer on Basswood or something like that?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is solid basswood. The spots where it looks like veneer is where I didn't sand all the way back to the actual wood. It still had a little sealer left that didn't take up the stain. I inspected the edges very thoroughly to see that it isn't ply or laminated.

It's already been primed, and tomorrow I'll sand back with 400 and then spray the white coat. I'll post pics then.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So instead of white, I just went nuts on it with my wife's oil paints. I streaked it as opposed to the swirl look. It'll take about a week or so to fully dry before I can brush on a clear coat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts