Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I need help finding out what guitar this is. I believe it is a 80's Ibanez X-series but I don't know anything beyond that. I bought it off **** cuz it was something I had never seen before and it looked great for another project to fix up and possibly swirl or some other refinish.

The only serial number is on the neck plate like the old jems and such. It is H843490 and is made in japan. 22 fret neck with fretwire that I'm not familar with it seems very squarish. Also has arrow style strap buttons that I haven't seen before. Looks like somebody has badily just slapped some thick paint on with a brush long ago it's cracking and has no clear. I am unsure of the wood right now. Any info would be great. Thanks.

The bridge pic is a little fuzzy and i will try to get a different one soon. I just wanted to show the saddles cuz they are a little different then the usual and are kinda cool.

·
Registered
405 Posts
that looks like a old dt250 or destroyer it's not a actual model Ibanez made it's one that was Ummmm! some how Ummm! I guess customized

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like a really hacked up Iceman. I highly doubt Ibanez produced a body-shape like that, as it looks really small and unproportional. But the top part of the body does remind me of an Iceman.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZJH said:
Looks like a really hacked up Iceman. I highly doubt Ibanez produced a body-shape like that, as it looks really small and unproportional. But the top part of the body does remind me of an Iceman.
Yes the body is small compared to anything else i've seen besides those fernandes guitars. It very well could be some model that was customized heavily. Did any of the previously mentioned models have the squarish frets or could they be a add on as well or just a really weird set worn down uniformly(I doubt this). I was drawn to it by how weird the whole thing was.

Thanks for the info so far, and thanks for any more that will come

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i think it is a hacked down iceman, i think that is quite possible one of the fugliest gutiars i have ever seen, and i mean that in every sence of the word . :D

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
WEll its not an iceman they never had that headstock design, its definitely one of the x series but which one by looking at it like that is hard to tell but im willing to bet its the star series which is scary because that guitar is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think of a dean ml or washburn dime series and youll get the picture. Those were COOL guitars and its sad to see what happened to this thing

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
It looks like a hacked-up something. Someone has obviously cut-up and moulded the body into their own shape. It almost looks like a Dean Cadillac shape kinda thing. I think it looks pretty cool actually......in a wierdish kinda way. I loved those old blade pickups that Ibanez used to put on em too, very cool.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Shocking!
Is it just me or does the body look like it's made from that expanding foam type stuff ?

If it is a cut down wood body it's been done really, really badly.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JTM45 said:
Shocking!
Is it just me or does the body look like it's made from that expanding foam type stuff ?

If it is a cut down wood body it's been done really, really badly.
yeah the paint on it is horrible. It really needs some love to become something. I how do u guys think it would look as a swirl? I think the body shape would make it interesting.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
nightfiend14 said:
yeah the paint on it is horrible. It really needs some love to become something. I how do u guys think it would look as a swirl? I think the body shape would make it interesting.
Id really, really sand all that off, take a look at the hackin job (i fear the worse under all that foamy crap), and try to go from there...

I wouldnt sell it (its not like you could get much for it anyway)... Id try to make something worth my effort out of it :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
spiro said:
Yes that guitar used to be a destroyer from possibly 1985 now its just a destroyed!!!
Actually, August of '84, 3490th guitar built that month.

It looks a lot like a modified Destroyer. Post some pics after the finish is stripped!
Josh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.