Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Help in picking out a 7 or 8 string guitar

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  WYLD STALLYNS 
#1 ·
I have long been a regular six string player and have dabbled with bass a little bit in the 1980s but I sucked playing too busily and going off into soloing :) But I do like some of the current 7 and 8 string work which sometimes puts some cool stuff in the lower register.

While Ibanez is the obvious choice, I have also looked at Schechter and Jackson for 7s and 8s and was curious what you all thought. I am not looking to commit and spend a lot but more beginner's or midrange.

Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
Another +1 for the 7620 if you like trems and the 7621 or 7421 if you don't. The 7420 is a fine guitar and can be found cheaper than the 7620, but not that much cheaper and the 7620's Lo Pro is worth the extra cash. You can upgrade the 7420's Lo TRS to an OFR, but by that point you could have just bought a 7620. You should be able to find a 7620 for ~$400-600 depending on the condition, color, etc. That's a really good deal for how nice those guitars are.

But I wouldn't say that they are the nicest 7-string below the $1,500 mark. You'll have to search, but you can find the original, square heel Universe guitars for around that mark (or less for a beater). Despite being made of the same woods and having the same trem as the 7620, IME and IMHO the older UV7 sounds significantly "better." I've owned/played several examples of each, and the UV7s are consistently bigger and warmer sounding IMHO, and by a large margin.

#10 ·
The Ibanez axes are tried & tested. I have enjoyed and recommended many of them. Money well spent.
The BC Stealth has an ebony board, solid mahogany neck and body, quality paint, deluxe hard case, a genuine floyd rose trem and the emg 81/707 pickup combo. Action and neck profile are very agile with the DD 9-54s as standard. Pickups fierce but quiet when not in use. Hard to beat for under 1000 dollars (if you look at the auction site).
You need to move the top strap pin though because the clowns at BCRich didn't test it stood up. Sat down it balances perfectly.

#16 ·
I'm in a similar spot, former RG1570, current RG3250 user and want to pick up my first 7 string. However, I know if I don't buy something I really want the first go around it'll be a longer/later/larger investment down the road. I'm looking at the RGIT27FE, and the price is just under that of the prestiges without a hardshell case, but the color and configuration is beckoning to me. Anyone have any luck with the Iron Label 7 strings?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RGIT27FE

#17 ·
theyre great but id have to go with 7x21 if your aiming for the sub $1000 level, which it sounds like

you can get a new/like new one w/ case for $400-600, but a brand/like new for a rare fujiyen (japanese early models, 1998-2000 i think) are going to most likely be $500 minimum but totally worth it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.