Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to guitars, started playing 3 months ago, but hey im getting good ;) lol. Anyway im looking at a js100 just wanted something cheapish for the time cos i might end up being crap and give up u never know hahahaha. I have been looking at 1 but i think it my be fake cos of the serial number. Anyone that has 1 could u tell me ur serial number plz so i can compare.... Thx very much :) Sarah

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I would recommend that you avoid the JS100. It has a poor trem and pickups, and is a poor deal for the money (unless you have found a really cheap used one). When you sell it you will have trouble getting your money back. You'd be better served spending a little more on a used JS1000. Or if that is too expensive now, maybe an S (like an S470), or even an RG (for a different look).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think you should get someting with a fixed bridge to start with, you may find it difficult playing a guitar with a floyd at first and string changes may frustrate you.

Have a look at the Ibanez RGA, SA or SZ series I'd say. I have an RGA121 and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
s4r4hm1ch3ll3 said:
Hi, i am new to guitars, started playing 3 months ago, but hey im getting good ;) lol. Anyway im looking at a js100 just wanted something cheapish for the time cos i might end up being crap and give up u never know hahahaha. I have been looking at 1 but i think it my be fake cos of the serial number. Anyone that has 1 could u tell me ur serial number plz so i can compare.... Thx very much :) Sarah
No real Substitute for going into a reputable music shop and having a go on a few differant guitars, Good luck, and hang around here for plenty more advice.

In my opinion the js100 would NOT be a bad starter guitar, but anything with a floating trem (bridge with a tremolo arm) will be more awkward to tune up. Other than that i'm sure you'd be very happy with one, To my knowlegde there are very few FAKE Js series guitars around as the bodies are quite difficult to re-produce, Hence most fakes are still ibanez Js bodies :)

Rob

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I wouldn't buy a JS100 because for less than a price of a new one, and a used one for that matter, you can buy a RG5XX or a RG7XX. Much better guitars and come with good trems ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
saTa said:
I'll just repeat myself again and say get a used js1000 for a price probably even lower than a new js100. and you're off with a MUCH superiour guitar.
used js1000s typically sell for about $800 - $1000 on the bay. i think that's more than what you'd be able to get a js100 for new.

imo, a js100 is a decent beginner to mid-level guitar. sure it doesn't compare to a js1000, but i don't think a person who has been playing for 3 months has the skill level to tell the difference. my first guitar was a p.o.s. strat copy (applause was the manufacturer i think) and i loved the hell out of that thing. once you show a little more dedication, a higher investment level is more justifiable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a js1200 and still love my 1st guitar - squier affinity strat lol. Hell, it works, probably worth e you buy whatever you choose.only about 45 quid but hey! I'm sure a js100 is better in terms of playability than that thing, but bottom line is you don't need to spend a lot these days to get something that plays really well. Try before you buy and you will no doubt find a guitar to suit you.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The JS100 is fine for what it is. The real problem is the over-inflated new price for what it is. Picking up a used one might make a very nice starter guitar without the financial hit. But still, for the same money, there are better deals out there ... like an S470, RG550, etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
rastachild said:
used js1000s typically sell for about $800 - $1000 on the bay. i think that's more than what you'd be able to get a js100 for new.

imo, a js100 is a decent beginner to mid-level guitar. sure it doesn't compare to a js1000, but i don't think a person who has been playing for 3 months has the skill level to tell the difference. my first guitar was a p.o.s. strat copy (applause was the manufacturer i think) and i loved the hell out of that thing. once you show a little more dedication, a higher investment level is more justifiable.
Don't know what US Prices are like but here in Germany used JS1000s go for ~1000€ on evilBay and a new JS100 costs 850€...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I bought mine at a music store for $200 used. I swapped the pickups with Dimarzio's and put an Edge pro in, and it still came out cheaper than buying it new. About $150 cheaper. Now the guitar is great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thx all for some great advise,,, still aint got 1 yet think ill prob go 4 the js1000 seen as so many people r praising it. at the mo i am using my dads strat copy lol does the job tho till i get mine. Thx again 4 the comments :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.