Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to start recording myself so I need a mixer ... can you recommend me one ?? I want something that isn't too expensive and has a headphone jack so I can hear every thing from the headphones ... ty !!!

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
stay away from anything that has the word "Behringer" on it.

The price will tempt you like a three-card-monte dealer on the sidewalk.
Don't do it.

If you're just recording yourself, you may be happy just buying an interface like the M-Audio Firewire 410. It's got its own inputs and 2 headphone jacks.

It won't do you much good as a mixer if you're recording multiple things at once, but if you're just doing your own track-by-track recordings, it'll work ine for ya. You're going to need a soundcard to record anything worth listening to anyway. it should be less than $200 used, or around $250 new online.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i disagree about behringer.

For strictly non critical situations..i think its just fine for a low end
MONITORING mixer.
I actually use one in my home studio.

I run all outboard gear for recording (not touching the behringer).

This person needs to state more than "i want to start recording myself"
Do you plan on doing computer based? Or a stand alone recorder?
strictly 1 input at a time? 12 inputs at a time?
What is "isn't too expensive"?
To one person this could mean $100
to another person this could mean $2000.

Fill in the gaps and I can help you more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i disagree about behringer.

For strictly non critical situations..i think its just fine for a low end
MONITORING mixer.
I actually use one in my home studio.

I run all outboard gear for recording (not touching the behringer).

This person needs to state more than "i want to start recording myself"
Do you plan on doing computer based? Or a stand alone recorder?
strictly 1 input at a time? 12 inputs at a time?
What is "isn't too expensive"?
To one person this could mean $100
to another person this could mean $2000.

Fill in the gaps and I can help you more.
I'm kind in a situation where I'm really close to making a band ... and that means I need more than one input but now, the present, I want to record myself with a backing track or something... for me cheap is like 200 $

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just bought a Peavey PV8 mixer and it comes with a 5 year warranty, with headphone jack with volume. All Steel and heavy 139$ cdn

·
Registered
396 Posts
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=WZ3-16-2

I know a few guys that uses these. They swear by them. Remember how important a good preamp is for guitar tone? It's the same with a mixer. Everything in that mix is effected by the mixer. Plunging a guitar into a cheap amp is like plugging a singer or drums into a cheap mixer.
Im not personally around that A&H board..but for the money Ive heard
very nice things about it. Basicly that it blew away a mackie in that price range.

I just picked up one of these for some location work

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...,CNTID%253D30407%2526CTID%253D5040666,00.html

O1v96 v2

I wont be using the pre's on it though.
But i needed "nutso" routing possibilities.

Dror, do you plan on recording your music to a computer? Everyone playing together or separate? or recording to a cassette deck? or anything in between?

·
Registered
203 Posts
+ 1 on yamaha

I bought a mg10/2 for $100 bucks half a year ago or so, best bang for the buck imo...yamaha quality.

Covers my needs for a vocal mic, bass, 2 guitar mics, and electric drums + headphone jack for monitoring.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I got excited when I read the title. I was going to recomend a Kitchen Aid 6qrt stand mixer with the pasta set attachements. Oh well, not much help here I guess.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have two Behringer mixers which I've used on a daily basis in my home studio for over 7 years without a single issue. They look and function today as they did the day I brought them home...

·
Banned
91 Posts
I would get the smallest used Mackie I could find......built like a tank and will do almost anything a "freshman" should need for a couple of years..........You will want to "trade up" before you make your first album for release............

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Ah, I didn't read clearly enough. You want it for recording. I thought it was live sound. That makes it a bit easier actually. Still, the mic pre's are like guitar amps. The better the pre, the better the recording. Are you recording a bunch of tracks at once?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also use a behringer mixer in my home studio, and have had absolutely no troubles with it. They are super cheap, and also good if your just starting out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts