Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using D'addarios and have recently switched to Elixirs, and both are not to my liking.

I'm thinking about switching to 10's (I was using 09's) in standard tuning so that I can set the action lower.

The reason I don't like D'addarios and Elixirs is because D'addarios seems to go all rusty and black in about 3 days, and I really don't like the feel it my fingers sliding on rusty strings. Elixirs are fine, I love the way it feels, and how my fingers slide on it, but tone-wise I think it's a bit on the down side.

I'm thinking about GHS strings, but I'm open to any suggestions.

The most important things I suppose are tone and (less importantly) long-lasting. Double lock trems makes it hard to swap strings. I heard somewhere that GHS's are huge sounding strings, so do any of you have experience with that?

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
What switching to 0.10s and standard tuning have to do with setting the action lower?
010's are thicker than 09's so with 09's you can get lower action than with 010's.
Dude it's just strings,keep trying till you find what you want.
I already used all major lables and to me they're all the same.
Some last long,some get rusty fast,some don't.
Just strings no rocket science.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My view is contrary to yours, so it might not be of much help. In my opinion Daddario are the best strings for the buck and last the longest. Are you playing your hands with a bunch of oil grease on them? They never get rusty for me, I usually end up breaking them, or changing them, before they even get dull sounding. I would take them over EB and GHS any day of the week. Elixir are nice also, but at 10 bucks for the Elixir and around 6 for the Daddario, Its a no brainer for me.

With the added tension that the 10's provide, you will get a slightly lower action with less buzz, not to mention a slightly thicker tone, but I still prefer 9's. I never invested a whole lot of thought or experimenting with strings because they break and the get changed more than its even worth thinking about.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I've had the same issues with the few D'Addarios I've tried. Other strings last for ages. I don't really sweat or have oily skin.

I've been using GHS Boomers for years and found them to be great. I did however try the new Dunlop strings recently, and they were fantastic, stretched really quickly after a restring, and hold tune nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
This is a very subjective question and I don't think there is one brand head-and-shoulders above the others.
I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's. My hands aren't strong enough to do fast stuff on 10's, but the action can be set up low for any guage strings- I have a friend who plays 12's and the action on his strat is amazingly low. I just don't know how he plays those monsters.

Steve Vai said in an interview that he washes his hands every time before picking up a guitar. That would help prevent the dreaded black-finger desease.....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is a very subjective question and I don't think there is one brand head-and-shoulders above the others.
I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's. My hands aren't strong enough to do fast stuff on 10's, but the action can be set up low for any guage strings- I have a friend who plays 12's and the action on his strat is amazingly low. I just don't know how he plays those monsters.

Steve Vai said in an interview that he washes his hands every time before picking up a guitar. That would help prevent the dreaded black-finger desease.....
Thicker strings describe a smaller arc while vibrating, so action on *THINNER* strings is that bugbear.

Also, playing thicker strings is just a matter of getting used to the extra tension. I play 10s right now but I'm considering moving my 7 string to 11s.

Edit: Also, the 'tone' of a specific brand of strings is rarely worth the hassle. Stainless steel vs nickel coated makes a difference, but two brands of nickel silver strings when new will sound almost exactly the same. Are you using elixir polywebs or nanowebs? I have nanowebs on an acoustic and I'm really liking them.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's weird that you have your D'Addario's rusting that quickly. Mine last a good month sounding new and 3 months before they totally become dull. Must be something in the air that doesn't agree with them or you're not wiping down your guitars after you play.

+1 on the string gauge does not affect where you can set your action enough to matter.

Just keep buying brands until you find one that works for you.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
+1 for Ernie Ball Slinkys, best strings for electric IMO.
Yeah, EB all the way, a tried all brands before EB, and have looked back, Yeah - its very important to wash your hands and let 'em dry before playing!

oh yeah, i think his logic behind moving to 10s for lower action is, thicker string = more tension = less vibration = less buzz, so you could *theoretically* attain a lower action, but I do not believe that the difference would be too noticeable. just try it and see how you like it, its the only way to know!!!!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
i am happy with my daddarios, nickel wound 10-46 and 10-52
i tired regular boomers (GHS) and 2, I think, sig models - by some two players, Zakk Wylde? Mustaine? i don't remember, they sucked donkey ass. were dull right from the beginning and didn't last long.
Ernie Balls stainless were pretty cool, btw, but in my area those are more expensive then d'addarios. and i have an unexplicable detest for elixirs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm gonna disagree on that one. I moved a guitar from 10's to a set of ernie ball not even slinkys, and I could set the action noticably lower without buzz.
Ernie Ball's steel alloy is noticeably harder than other brands, an easy way to verify this is bending a piece of string into an "L" (which you have to do anyway when re-stringing). D'Addarios for instance are softer and easier to bend than EBs, and this translates into better sustain, brightness and volume.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.