Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn.

I'm ready to buy another guitar and I CAN'T make up my mind which one to get. I'm in a Classic Rock band and I'm the lead guitar player. I play through 2 Marshall heads and four 4-12" Marshall cabinets every gig.
I have to pick just one guitar- HELP!!!

777SK?

YJM Strat?

My 550DY is my current "#1", and I can't decide whether a Jem777SK with pyramids or a brand new shiney -updated Yngwie Strat with deeper scallops and machine screws would be a better choice.

Here's the logic:

Upsides:
SK-keeps the Ibanez 'vibe' going with loud colors. Looks cool on stage. locking trem. It's a Jem and they are probably the best hot-rod you can get.

YJM- adds another sonic texture to the band. Scallops great for 'tricks'.
It's a Strat- another GREAT guitar.(IMHO)

Downsides:
SK- more of the same sound. Older instrument that will need maintenance(frets, etc).
YJM- no locking trem. Lower pickup output means changing amp levels when changing guitars.

I love having a DY and SK together on stage.....here's my last lineup-

I also am blown away with the YJM and have been dying to get the new one.
I had a Sonic Blue one w/rosewood board and it was a GREAT guitar. I'm just concerned with no locking trem. I had this strat neck custom scalloped and played this guitar for years as my #1 -

So, what would you guys do?

(((*grabs popcorn and waits for responses*)))

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
"Smooth jazz or a wedding band". so thats what Mark Tremonti plays? Or Carlos Santana....I could go on. I think they would be fine to 'cut through the mix'.

Wolfram

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put a Floyd on the YJM.
Thanks for all the responses!

Yup, a Floyd on a YJM would be my Holy Grail.

BTW- both Tremonti and Santana have TERRIBLE tone IMHO. YUCK. They sound like a swarm of bees in a paper cup. UHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG.

I put on the Denver G3 DVD through the home theater and compared Yng's tone with both Satch and Steve- it's an interesting comparison on the Hendrix stuff between the rigs.
As much as I love Vai and Satch, Yngwie blew them away on that DVD.
Absolutely buried them- and both Satch and Steve knew it too. I believe that tour was directly responsible for Yngwie's resurgence and rekindled his popularity.

·
4,107 Posts
The only thing Yngwie buried were a few donuts down his pie hole. :lol:

j/k, I do like the YJM strats and Yngwie's tone, but it is definitely a matter of taste. It would be sweet to get one with a Floyd

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If you look for a versatile guitar which is probably the ultimate gigging guitar i would suggest you give a Parker Fly Mojo a chance.

I know in some peoples eyes they don't look good, but you get two seymours, coil splittable, piezo's, the best trem in the world, 4.5 pounds and a neck which is resistant to changes in temperature. Forget about the other goodies like stainless steel frets.

Besides that i would probably take a look at the MM Petrucci.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had similar problems with a G & Legacy strat output wise-try Di Marzio fast track 1s in the neck and middle and a chopper or tone zone S in the bridge-wire the volume pot as a push/pull switch(splits all the pickups to single coil). The blade pickups will sound way more even and have twice the output of the Yjms' and Hs 3's. Yngwie sounds great but remember he always plugged into a Dod 250 preamp/Boss ns-2 combo before reaching the amp. Hs3s have great tone but very little output. Wow you have some awesome guitars. What do you miss more the higher output of the Ibanezes or the locking trem system? I love strat guitars but am way too used to 12'radius 24 fret necks to ever go back.
An inexpensive solution to your YJM strats output would be an Mxr micro amp or any overdrive pedal: set the output control of the pedal where you want it and turn the gain/distortion knob down and use it as a boost. The Hs3s are fully humbucking so it should'nt be too noisy and since the pedals on the floor you won't have to change any amp settings.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing Yngwie buried were a few donuts down his pie hole. :lol:

j/k, I do like the YJM strats and Yngwie's tone, but it is definitely a matter of taste. It would be sweet to get one with a Floyd
Hey Kev.
Not responding to pm's these days, huh? :^)
Yng's actually in pretty good shape - personal trainer, lost a ton of weight - playing tennis again....

But yeah - the more I think about it - a Floyded YJM is the ticket for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.