Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase one this week.
I have searched and looked into the info that people posted.
I have not have the chance to play those guitars and prolly won't be able to.

7 has more of a "vai" tone than 77?
From what I read, 7 has better and easily playable AH than 77?
Do breeds really do sound "muddy" or "sluggish?"
Which has better "tone"
7 is more versatile?

coming from personal experience of playing the guitars(disregarding aesthetic), which one would you choose?
the price difference between the two is only $100

Thank you in advance~ :D

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
7 has more of a "vai" tone than 77?
From what I read, 7 has better and easily playable AH than 77?
Do breeds really do sound "muddy" or "sluggish?"
Which has better "tone"
7 is more versatile?
Seriously.... I ROLLED ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING AND THEN I JUMP UP AND DOWN NAKED AND AGAIN I ROLLED ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING NAKED AND THEN I GET UP AND WEAR MY PANTS BACK.... Which idiot told you that?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd go for the 77, seriously better tone, played both many times one after the other and there's no way, 77 has much more soul than 7

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
I’ll answer each of the points you raise in turn,

Firstly, the White JEM7 certainly has more of the “classic” Vai tone than the Breed equipped Black JEM77, this is due to the combination of the Evolution pickups and the alder body. The 77 has a more “classic rock” tone from the Breed pickups.

Both guitars effectively play the same, so you shouldn’t really let any concerns over playability affect your choice of guitar. I’ve always found with the JEM that any limits on playability and technique, are always mine before they’re the guitar’s!

Many people love the Breeds, but I honestly think that in comparison to the Evolution pickups, yes, the Breeds do sound dull, lifeless and muddy but that’s only when you compare them to the Evolutions. They are however excellent classic rock pickups in their own right, they have a very neutral sound and fit really well in a rock setting.

Which has better tone? Whichever one you like best, I say the white 7 with the Evos. Others would say the black 77 with the Breeds.

I would say that the more generic character of the black 77 (both in terms of sound and looks) makes this guitar the more versatile and less like you want to ‘be’ Steve Vai.

Me? I’d go for the 7VWH everytime.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i was stuck in this exact same dilemna not too long ago

in the end the idea of getting a jem was too fanboy for me
the 77, you're just paying for an rg with the hole in it, only better pickups
didn't fancy the 7 for the gold hardware

went for an ebmm jp6 in the end

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a 2005 Jem7vwh, and last summer , I bought a 2007 Jem77bk. Having both, I can say that with the years I have that the necks are IDENTICAL! So going from one to the other is effortless, and I really like that. So,,,different pickups and different body woods contribute to a different sound, but I really like the sound of both through my SLO100. The 7v does have a bit more bite and singing overtones, which are very cool, and I'd classify the 77v as a bit more tame and not as bright. In conclusion, I think you should mainly go by which one appeals to you most in the looks department, as I think adapting to the sound of each would not be a problem. I personally don't find the EVO's too harsh at all, and I use the same settings on my SLO for every guitar I have. Now, choosing which guitar is most attractive, looks-wise,,,now that can be hard, as the 77v looks WAY better in person than on most pictures on the net. Apply some lemon oil to the board and the fretboard is no longer light brown like the pictures on store websites. Those boards are starving for oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm putting my vote for the 77vbk. I had the same decision to make.

I think looks plays a big part in what feels good to play. To me the white and gold doesn't look that good to me, and I don't like the way gold tarnishes. Out of all the colours they could have chosen, white is bland. If it wasn't Vai's main guitar I wonder if it would have been as popular.

As far as sound I quite like the VWH. It has sharp and bright useful sounds. The VBK is more midrangey, but still sounds like a Jem.

Finally, if I can throw a slight alternative in your decision making, how about the BRMR? (if you can find one). I swear when you see one you won't care what it sounds like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot guys :) decided to go with 7vwh.
Just bought from Rich from Ibanez Rules
Such a great guy! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts