Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as my 7 string project comes closer and clsoer to being completed, its time to decide on the pickup configuration. What is everyones favourite combo to use when it comes to 7's (H-S-H) I was initially planning on getting blaze pickups, but am starting to second guess that, simply because I have an evo bridge in my 6, and im not overly impressed with it. It has good tone and everything, but its nothing to brag about, so I was thinking it might be the same with the Blaze pickups. I know they are different pickups, but I get the feeling that they will also be less then steller. It will be in a mahogany body aswell just so you know.

So lets hear those suggestions. Im not going to just go with the majorities ruling, but it will give me something to research.

Thanks, Scott.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
mahogany is more resonate in the bass and mid frequnces . The blaze my not be a bad choice , it would give a lot of impact on the b and having the highs boosted would help out as well, while the mids are cut.

It really depends on what you are looking for out of your sound. PLus dimarzio has a 30 day exchange policy, if you dont like the pickup you can send it back and they will get you another one with equal or lesser list price. So you could try the blaze and if you didn't like it you could send it back.

I just got a dean evo model seven string, and if i dont like the pickups i think i may personally get the blaze . It has a maple cap and mahogany body .

you may also look into switching to 1 meg pots they are brighter and dont bleed anything so the pickup gets everything through with minimal signal loss.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am going to break the mould here and suggest Seymour Duncans. I know it's not really kosher to say anything else than DiMarzio on this forum (I'm exaggerating) but what the heck. JB7 in the bridge and a Jazz7 in the neck is a nice combo. As for the single coil, hmmmmm Vintage Rails might be interesting, or maybe a LiveWire, but the latter is active so it's fairly impractical, and I'm not sure SD can make 7-string versions of the active pups. They should, but you never know. Someone else might know here.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I use an Evo7 /paf7 in my universe, but it's not mahogany.

Dimarzio makes 7 string versions of the Air Norton and Tone Zone, which is what Ibanez puts in all their Mahogany J-Customs. Maybe not a bad place to start. i know the 6 string config sounds great.

~Kenny

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kennydoe said:
Dimarzio makes 7 string versions of the Air Norton and Tone Zone, which is what Ibanez puts in all their Mahogany J-Customs. Maybe not a bad place to start. i know the 6 string config sounds great.

~Kenny
Oh yeah? What would you suggest for the single coil?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I have a tom anderson single coil in there. got it from warmouth...not sure about their availability - i got it a while back. It's hot though :)

~K

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I would strongly recommend NOT putting a Tone Zone in a mahogany 7-string - it's a body wood that's all mids, coupled with a pickup that's all mids. You'll have absolutely zero definition on the B string. Trust me on this one, i bought a 2027 that came this way. It might work of a 6, but IMO it's less than ideal on a 7.

You want a bright bridge pickup, preferrably with a slight midrange scoop for a mahogany 7- the Blaze is a great match. Strangely, so is the Evo - I replaced the TZ in my old 2027 with one of these, and it was jawdroppingly good - a very "screaming" lead sound, but a bit warmer - a "Vai-like" sound that sounded nothing at all like him, if it makes any sense. It's a totally different pickup in mahogany than it is in basswood.

The JB is a good call, too, for the same reasons as the Evo.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Damn, I was thinking of getting Blazes 7's for my next project in blue but they don't come in blue and diMarzio said there's none planned for the future either. Haha damn I was imagining my next 7 like this:

Hopefully if me and Koss swap our 'bodies' haha I was gonna do a 'Jemiverse' like that ^ hmm...maybe I should go for green or red. I like blue though :(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im getting white ones for mine :D

pickguard paradise should be able to help you out. With pickup caps or bobbin toppers. I'd go with the caps myself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cool! *Drools at prospect of having 7 string jem/uv thing* Was gonna go for a full LGM vine with the blue glow in the dark material 'backlight reflecting' or whatever it was called.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts