Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently made a trade (my 7621 for a Peavey Ultra Plus head, 120 watts).

I don't have a cab right now. I need one, obviously. I do not want a 4x12, simply because that is just too much for what I require (and I don't want to lug one around...).

So I need a good 2x12, mostly for metal. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
try to find a used PV-2x12mc cab. They made them around 89-90'. They are a 2x12 upright cab, solid construction, Stereo/mono inputs. Angled top. They come stock with real Celestion G12K-85watt speakers. They usually go used for $200 and under. I recently scored a bone stock 9 cond one for only $100. My Sovtek MIG-60 sounds super cool through the stocl celestions, but for the price I can afford to throw any kind of speakers I want in it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
rgr said:
www.avatarspeakers.com is always a good choice, check the scratch, dent, and overstock section for the best deals. That's where my 2 - 2X12s came from.
+1

I recently bought an Avatar 2x12 and it is awesome and inexpensive. For metal the Celestion G12T-75 speakers are supposed to be good. I've got a Vintage30 and a G12H30 in mine which is cool with a stereo amp. The H30 is good for the bass for an open back cab.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mesa Rect (closed back) 2x12 is a great cab solid build (w/ v30s) and sounds amazing (I have one). Its one of the best cabs I have played through a bit expensive but it works well for me (Dream Theater/Megadeth/Steve Vai/Opeth/Satriani). You should check one out at a local store.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got an avatar also. Great sound for an awesome price. I think mine was $300 shipped to my door or something rediculous like that.

Orange cabs sound great too but not good enough to warrant the high price. The Gflex Genz Benz cabs are also amazing.

The best sounding 2X12 I've ever heard though is the smaller bogner shiva cab. It absolutley RIPS and has the sweetest and most complexed tone I've ever heard. It brought out sounds in my amp that I never knew existed!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm actually digging the Avatars.

For those that have them, can you tell me what kind you have? Closed back? Etc? And guage their performance?

I see you can mix and match speakers, so I was just curious as to what would be best for metal.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have an open back with Eminence GB12s and a closed back with Wizards. Both sound really good, the closed back has tighter bass but is reallly punchy, the open back is brighter and spreads the sound out more, I usually have the closed back on the bottom and the open back on top for the best of both worlds. Can't say exactly how much difference is due to the different speakers vs cabinets.

I had a G-Flex cab too, they sound good, but don't have as much definition with high gain. They are nice as bottoms with something like an Avatar on top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My avatar came with the G12H30 and V30. Semi open back. It's a large oval opening. I replaced the G12H30 with a second V30 and I like it better now. More definition and clarity at higher volume when using lots of gain.

Compared to a marshall 4X12 with V30's it has more low end. I played a much more expensive Orange cab with 2 V30's and found no compelling reason to buy the orange over the Avatar.

One cab I really want to hear is Avatars new cab that looks like the old Marshall Blues breaker cab/Oversized Bogner 2X12.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts