Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be the first to admit that I have barely any recording experience. I've used a friend's digital 8 track, and recorded a few times on Pro Tools and such, except the owner was doing all the messing with it. So, I have no idea where to start.
The first thing is the gear. I don't know what I should get. I know I need an audio interface and a couple SM57s, but beyond that, hell if I know. I've seen my buddy use amplitude and that was cool, and another friend loaned me Reason to make a backing track from a Sibelius file, so I've got that. But when it comes to programs and all the other various things involved...$hit I have no idea!
So could someone suggest a list of sorts of stuff I should buy, possibly in what order? Because buying all the crap at the same time will break my bank account. Thanks in advance.
Smitty

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
budget and purpose? full band or just you and a synth? full production or just demoing?
after you answer these questions, then we can better give recommendations.

rich

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
budget and purpose? full band or just you and a synth? full production or just demoing?
after you answer these questions, then we can better give recommendations.

rich
Fairly budget motivated. Don't wanna break the bank.

Just me, a Yamaha MO8, my amp, effects...so yeah, just me.

Demoing, but I would like to have the best quality possible. Let's say that if the opportunity arose for full production, I would like to be able to do it with this stuff, but for now it's just demoing.
Smitty

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
first you need a really good interface. for the budget, there are a ton of really good boxes out there. i have really come to love my presonus stuff. i have a firestudio with 2 digimax pres, for 24 tracks, but you won't need that. the point i am trying to make is more about the quality of the preamps. the presonus pres have really impressed me, so i would definitely recommend the firebox right out of the gate. the line6 toneports have been really popular and if they are still being bundled with gearbox gold, are a steal. this may change the way you record your guitars. at any rate, the ux2 would be great for a usb based rig. if i were in your shoes and were wanting to go bigger, i would look into the firestudio project or the fp10 on a budget. great pres, but with a little less featured as the regular firestudio. next would be a good DAW software. most interfaces out now will give you a lite version of a DAW bundled with other lite versions of plug-ins. so try those out and then you can decide on the pros and cons for you tastes. i personally use sonar and have for many years. not to say it is better than the next, but i am just very familiar with it.

rich

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot man! I'll check out all of that. The Line 6 has looked very interesting, and I know a friend of mine has an M-Audio firewire interface and he likes that, but I wanted a second opinion. Thanks again dude.
Smitty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts