Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I need a bridge dimarzio for this RS 140
I am going to put a YJM at the neck and a HS-2 in the middle
which dimarzio bridge pup can do the heaviest stuff(zakk wylde's BLS,slayer,older metallica,etc) but also cover the VH,AC/DC, ZEP
and other classic rock tones the best?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dimarzio Tonezone? I have it and it does all those things great. YOu could also try a super distortion, it does those styles of music well too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
He wants a chunkier tone, so I would suggest the Steves Special which is just a tone zone with more bottom end.
What? I'm sorry to disagree with you sniper, but he SS is about as different from the TZ as you can get. The TZ is fat, round, and punchy, with a lot of low mids. The SS is scooped in the mids (esp. the low mids), great bass, great top end, and very edgy. The TZ is Alnico 5 magnet, the SS is ceramic. Look at thier tone charts on Dimarzio.com... different as night and day. I have both, and they don't sound alike at all either, except for the fact that they're both smooth and articulate.

I'd also suggest the TZ. It'd pair up well with those pups you mentioned. But, the Steve's Special also is a very, very nice sounding pickup. Almost like a thicker, higher output single coil in some ways. Very 3-D. The TZ is a bit more 'old-skool', the SS more 'modern metal' IMO.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For the bridge, the regular Tone Zone would be my choice (of course, I like higher output pups). The Air Zone is a good pickup but too low output for my current taste.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Bare Knuckle Miracle Man.

EMG power and clarity, hand (scatter) wound.

It does the seriously heavy very well. If you roll back on mids it tightens up like a torque wrench. Decent clean sound. Thinking about it, if you want to do ZW type stuff it really is this or the EMG. Don't underestimate how much of his sound is due to those pickups.

People need to buy more of these.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Roadstar said:

I need a bridge dimarzio for this RS 140
I am going to put a YJM at the neck and a HS-2 in the middle
which dimarzio bridge pup can do the heaviest stuff(zakk wylde's BLS,slayer,older metallica,etc) but also cover the VH,AC/DC, ZEP
and other classic rock tones the best?
Air Zone!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
air zone, the hs series of single coils are REALLY low output. so the vintage type output of the air zone will really compliment that. also, the air zone is a little more spanky than a regular tone zone and will feel a bit more strat like with the humbucker balls. for extra versatility, add a coil tap. great bunch of in between tones and strat-ness from your roadstar.

rich

1 - 20 of 22 Posts