Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking at a JEM7v it’s a bit “tatty”, but would welcome any expert opinion to check whether it’s genuine. It looks it. From Serial No its a 2006. Some tarnishing of trem, but is pop in and decals and nut cover look ok to me. Attached a few fotos I have from seller, would welcome some guidance as to whether it looks genuine or not. Trem doesn’t seem to have the floyd licence wording is one thing I have spotted. Many thanks for input before I make the plunge, otherwise for less money I may go for a new 70v in sea foam green which is a lot cheaper…. Am in UK.

Guitar accessory Rectangle Font Screenshot Beauty

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Font Electronic instrument Audio equipment

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory
Rectangle Font Screenshot Graphics software Electronic device

Rectangle Personal computer Computer Font Screenshot

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Product String instrument

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's real, no doubt about that. Hasn't been well looked after though, those strings look like they've been on the guitar since it was made in 2006. Yellowing suggests it wasn't kept in the case and has either been smoked or left in sunlight a lot (both?), the rust suggests it spent a period in high humidity like being left in a damp garage or something. Just take into account that the bridge saddles almost definitely need to be replaced due to the amount of corrosion.

I personally would dodge this guitar unless you're getting a great deal on the price, Ibanez replacement parts aren't cheap (especially the Japanese trems like the Edge Pro on this one).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's real, no doubt about that. Hasn't been well looked after though, those strings look like they've been on the guitar since it was made in 2006. Yellowing suggests it wasn't kept in the case and has either been smoked or left in sunlight a lot (both?), the rust suggests it spent a period in high humidity like being left in a damp garage or something. Just take into account that the bridge saddles almost definitely need to be replaced due to the amount of corrosion.

I personally would dodge this guitar unless you're getting a great deal on the price, Ibanez replacement parts aren't cheap (especially the Japanese trems like the Edge Pro on this one).
Cheers Baz, appreciate it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Curious as to why there isn’t a pic showing the nut bolts from the back. I’ve seen cracks happen around those bolts. Heck it happened on a Fender I had with a Floyd on it. I’ve also seen cases where the bolt spacing is wrong on fakes.

·
Registered
511 Posts
2000-2150 USD is what I’d pay for that. It doesn’t look THAT bad. I’ve seen worse!
The thing is, that guitar looks like it has been kept in some dodgy conditions and that would have me more worried than a bit of chipped paint. Damp and sunlight can do a lot of harm and while the guitar is probably fine overall the bridge has a lot of corrosion/rust. Edge Pro replacements can be tough to find these days and you're talking £200+ for that bridge, and when there are plenty of really nicely looked after Jems out there why would you buy something like this unless you were getting a really good deal?

Until very recently you could get a really good condition older Japanese 7V for about a grand used, the prices have gone up but I think that bubble is gonna burst, no point in buying a neglected guitar that has been sitting around in someones shed for years.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mm, yeah, that thing's got some climate and bodily fluid induced mojo, for sure :D.

As has been said, it's possible to get better prices. Right now, there's some other VWHs on Treeverb from the mid 00s for 1800-1900 Euro in far better condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts