Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi please help...I have saved up a lot of money and have been thinking of fitting a sustainer to my Jem... I wanted it to be like Vai's so I want a fernandes sustainer...please tell me weither he uses the fsk 401 or 101...(I think its the 101 but i dont want to buy till im sure its the right one:))
Also...this is my only guitar, its the most beautiful guitar i will ever own and i couldn't afford to replace it for many years(perhaps like 10 or something:p ) so please say -in your opinion wether this is actually a worthwhile modification....any help would be very greatly apppreciated...thankyou

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well i will be honest with you i do not think he uses either a 401 or 101. If you look at the 401 you will see that the sustainer is single coil size. Now vai uses a fake pickup next to his sustainer to fil the humbucker cavity. If you look closely at FLO you will see that there are 4 screws holding the 2 pickups on. I also noticed that neither the 401 or 101 come in white that i can find. (Correct me if i am wrong and tell me where they can be bought). I actually used the Maniac Music Sustainiac in my RG. The guitar also has breeds in it to kinda simulate a Vai style sound. The sustainiac is great and cheaper than the Fernandes and you do not have to cut up your guitar to install it. Although i did just to get the controls away from the guitar controls for easier use and to get a battery box in so i didn't have to remove the cavity cover to change batteries. I think Vai's FLO actually uses a sustainer cut from one of his Fenandes guitars. I remember Vai flirting briefly with and endorsing Fernandes and then suddenly he started using FLO and his fernandes guitars dissapeared (Coencidence? I think not). Also remember that he is Vai. If he wants a custom Fernandes pickup he gets it. You and i will not have such luck. If you are dead set on a fernandes then go with the 401 and a fake pickup since the 101 looks kinda cheap to me. Hope this helps. Joshua

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.