Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been using the same Mexican made Fender Strat ever since I started a few years ago and I've been saving up and am ready to buy my first serious guitar. I play heavy metal and am really excited to get a guitar with 24 frets and a locking tremelo. My initial choices were ESP, Killer, Jackson, and Ibanez, but I found the Ibanez not only to be cheaper than the other 3 but also very playable. I think I'm going to order from Ibanez Rules and from doing searches on threads it looks like he is highly regarded. I also feel safer ordering from him since he looks over everything. I do feel a little disappointed that Ibanez no longer offers maple fretboards on the RG models.

Anyway, down to my questions. I have around $1200-1300 and was wondering what you guys recommend? I've only tried an RG prestige neck-thru but really liked it. I was also wondering if someone could tell me, aside from the pickguard and pickups, is there any difference between the Ibanez RG-1570 and the RG-2550? Some people at Harmony Central said the wood for the RG-2550 are probably hand selected. Also, do all the Japanese Prestige guitars have this cool logo on the back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By the way, I'm very happy to learn the Japanese Fujigen factory will not be closing. : )

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
The RG-2550 is front routed (with pickguard) while the RG-1570 is routed in the back. Both are fine instruments. A different choice could buying a used RG 550 on that "auction site" then you will have enough money left for better pickups and other fun toys ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You can buy alot of guitar for $1300 ;)
You'd be able to pick up a good jem for that price.

If you like thru-necks, you'll be able to pick up a Jackson soloist on evilbay for that price aswell.

BTW, anyone here will tell you that you can't go wrong buying from Rich. I myself am a very happy customer as I have purchased two jems from him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, to be honest I don't really want the Jem or any signature guitar. Regarding ****, I use **** a fair amount but I don't feel comfortable buying an expensive guitar off of ****. I've had a couple of bad experiences getting guitars off of ****. I told myself that the next guitar I buy I would test first or get it from someone like Rich because he checks them first. I live in a small town and well I don't believe there are any shops in town that I would trust to do a good job working on any guitar I own.

I do realize $1200-1300 is a lot of money and I really want an ebony or maple fretboard so I might ask if Rich at Ibanez Rules has any left over RG-1550 or if I could order from an online shop that still has them in stock and then have it sent to Rich to have him set it up and give it the locking mod.

Has anyone talked to him on the phone? I feel a little awkward asking dumb questions, but at the same time his website says he doesn't like to type.

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
CyberSoul said:
Has anyone talked to him on the phone? I feel a little awkward asking dumb questions, but at the same time his website says he doesn't like to type.
Lol! That would explain why Rich has the highest post count on Jemsite. :D

Are you set on a new guitar? You could get a pretty nice used one if your budget is $1300.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i have a rg 2550 and no to the logo issue. its got the same style as the jems and alike as far as i know. i doubt the woods are hand selected either? may be wrong (sure someone will let me know if i am lol)

Love my rg and the shame is since buying my jem its neglected on the stand, still i really love the feel of the neck on it flat and fast, similar to a old jackson stealth i had once. hey whatever one you get good luck and hope you like it ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, Rich was really quick to reply to my questions. It sounds like all MIJ Ibanez guitars now have that logo.

I have to think for a bit about exactly what RG Prestige model I want but I figure I will be decided by the end of this week. I really want an RG-1550

Oh yeah, I have a question for those of you that have both lower end prestige and higher end prestige guitars: is there a huge difference in the neck of the lower end and higher end prestige guitars, or is the main difference in the paint jobs and cosmetic looks that bring up the price?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The Prestige guitars and the regular series are two entirely different beasts. It took me a while to finally feel the differences between them, but the Prestige guitars have a more comfortable neck IMO, better electronics, better bridges and better paint jobs. They also have a higher resale value because they're Made in Japan instead of being Made in Korea.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dude, compared to what you've been playing, you'll get a KILLER used guitar off some well-known auction site that I'm sure exists - or off of Jemsite of course - for under $500. Better, IMO, then plunking down that wad of cash on a brand new guitar that will have to age a couple of years before it's sound mellows. And better to save some of that wad for a future guitar, because there's a GOOD chance you'll develop a hankerin' for more than just one guitar. Or maybe a better amp. I'd recommend looking for used guitars like the RG3120....

Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hmmm, I am using just a small solid state amp (although I have a modded ADA mp-1 preamp with no power amp or cab), but I really want a guitar I can be sure plays perfectly and I just don't feel comfortable buying a guitar off of ****. I don't even have any experience with floyd roses.

I just got an email back from Rich at Ibanez Rules and he could get an Ibanez RG-1550 Prestige with maple fretboard but it would be around $1100 or more. I'm really not sure what to do. At least I figure that no matter what I get it'll be better than what I have.

BTW why does it bleep out "evilbay" (you know what I'm talking about) everytime?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i'm not saying they're exactly the same animal, but i just bought a mint '98 rg550 for $440. i believe it's basically the same spec as the rg1550 with the exception of the 5 piece neck.

my point being you can save a lot of money over buying new and then play around with pickup changes, amps, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you think the there is a huge difference in the necks of the prestige models and those of the 5xx series? I tried some rosewood 5xx series guitars at the guitar centers in St. Louis and they played horribly :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts