Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have an old RG body with an AANJ of an unknown model, and I want to buy a neck for it.

The heel of the neck cavity runs straight into the neck pickup cavity - a humbucker cavity.

I am correct in thinking that I am therefore looking for an AANJ Wizard II 22 fret neck for this body to fit?

24 fret would have the extension board run unto the pickup cavity I assume?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aanj necks don't have a fretboard extension, they have only a small amt of overhang. The old neck joints had overhand, that is why the jems were made with top 4 frets scalloped.
Ah, of course!

So does that mean the actual neck length changes for AANJ necks between 22 and 24 fret?

If so, looks like I will need to do some measuring!

If I have got that correct, does anyone have the neck length measurements for a 22 fret vs 24 fret?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Both should be 25.5 inches, I think most rgs have 24 frets. I'm not sure which Ibanez models had 22 but I don't think any rgs did.

The aanj and original joint changed only by cutting out more from the pickup cavity. On aanj your pickup cavity will have a hole to your neck joint. I believe original has a small piece of wood between them. The neck lengths are the same to keep the physics of the instrument correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both should be 25.5 inches, I think most rgs have 24 frets. I'm not sure which Ibanez models had 22 but I don't think any rgs did.

The aanj and original joint changed only by cutting out more from the pickup cavity. On aanj your pickup cavity will have a hole to your neck joint. I believe original has a small piece of wood between them. The neck lengths are the same to keep the physics of the instrument correct.
ok, so if that is the case then pretty much any AANJ RG Ibanez neck would fit any Ibanez RG body?

Thanks for the help so far!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.