Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After i change strings (all in once$!$%) i notice that a difference at my string tension some strings are much easier to bend and fret than others and this make playing difficult .
Anybody can help me guys?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Remember that every time you change your strings your intonation and action all change and you need to adjust everything again. The only thing changing all strings at 1 time can do is alter your neck tension which in the long run puts more tension on your neck, otherwise its the fact that other things like the action and intonation change each time you change the strings and you need to adjust it. I'm sure its not really a problem with the guitar.

·
Registered
323 Posts
amanvai said:
Remember that every time you change your strings your intonation and action all change and you need to adjust everything again. The only thing changing all strings at 1 time can do is alter your neck tension which in the long run puts more tension on your neck, otherwise its the fact that other things like the action and intonation change each time you change the strings and you need to adjust it. I'm sure its not really a problem with the guitar.
Does this happens on a vintage strat like guitar too?

In mine the intonation didnt changed with the new strings(changed them 1 by 1) but the action is what I want to know about.
THX

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted by amanvai

thank you for your help amanvai.I know how to adjust the action but i don't know how to adjust intonation can you help me?http://www.jemsite.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
Unhappy

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
iaosnas, did you change string guage? If not, ignore the advice you have been given - changing string (for the same guage) does not mean you have to set the guitar up again!
However, if you changed guage you will need to do some work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you stay with the same gauge the intonation is the same I've found.
If you use D'addario strings you will notice on the back it shows you the tension on the string, if you have customized your own gauge or are using a rare gauge of string this could be the problem, Sat himself uses D'addario EXL 120, this is 9,11,16,24,32,42 I think. So I recommend fitting these into your JS and intonating it- then see if the problem continues, if it does I would go to a guitar expert and ask them. The less tension on the string the easier to bend it is; so there will be slight differences, but not differences that affect your ability to bend the string. It could be the string is a dud, but if this has happened consistently through string sets then I don't know sorry! If you find out what the problem was, please tell us in this thread :)
Thanks
Regards
Jonny

·
Registered
62 Posts
All strings are harder to bend near the nut by the way, I know it's stating the obvious but if this is the problem then there ain't much you can do! if the strings are noticably different to bend at the same fret then ask an expert!
Regards
Jonny

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Changing strings, so long as you are using the same gauge, would hardly impose a detriment on action, intonation or neck tension. It's most likey to be a different gauge or the wrong strings in the wrong place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.