Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello peeps!

i just gotten myself a custom made AANJ neck off the bay, and an korean jem jr body. the neck is undrilled, so there's no holes in the neck yet, except for the tuning machines.

now, i need some instructions or tricks around drilling these holes on the neck. im having troubles marking up the drilling points for the 4 neck screws, the locking nut and the tuning machine.

my tuning machines are stock ibanez, from the korean-indonesian RGs, where they mounted them with without screws like Gotohs. the locking nut is rear mounted, like most ibanez necks. and the neck joint is AANJ.

so, if anyone has any input or ideas or guide or tutorial regarding preparing these things, that would be very much appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
To drill your holes in the neck, get the drill bit that will match what you need for the neck screws, put it against the body with the neck in place and work out how deep you want to go and put some coloured tape around the bit to mark how deep you want to go. Using a drill press will probably be the best way to go to ensure you don't accidentally go on an angle with the hole.

·
Vendor
26,427 Posts
I always use a bit the size of the holes in the body. Mount the neck, make sure it's aligned, hold in place while you drill each hole just enough to mark the heel of the neck. You're not drilling the holes, just marking the placement. Then use the right size bit just a bit bigger than the solid shaft of the screw to drill the holes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I need to revive this post.... what about the neck nut? I am in the same possition and not feeling like messing up a $300 neck. Anyone seen any pics or youtube vids?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do you mean that you need to do the full route and drilling for the locking nut? I don't understand -- why wasn't that done as part of the neck build? That needs to be a very precise job, both in position and depth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
not sure why those werent drilled.... I need to get my neck nut on and need to know about them. Seems to be fairly common.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts