Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my used Rg 350 ex setup. lo and behold, the trem was shodyy because a few days after getting it back i tried to adjust the tuning and bridge kept pulling up on me. It was so bad I had to take it back into the shop. The guy wouldn't believe when I told him I never touched the springs. Anyways, I decided to block it anyways, I don't care that much anymore and I just wanted a decent guitar to play on without having to worry about the stupid floating bridge. I noticed that the action was set really low and I had some pretty nasty buzzing on the bass strings ( the e was worst) and it felt like I was losing some sustain. I asked the tech to take a look and he just cranked the two post up on me. I'm not sure if that's legit so I wanted to ask around here. Is that the correct way to adjust the string height on this type of guitar? I had another guy look at the neck and he assured me she was a straight as can be and I should probably adjust the truss a 1/4 and see what that does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I don't like the action can I just tweak the posts a little bit? How much can really go wrong? The floating trem is blocked so it only goes 1 way if that helps.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
So I got my used Rg 350 ex setup. lo and behold, the trem was shodyy because a few days after getting it back i tried to adjust the tuning and bridge kept pulling up on me. It was so bad I had to take it back into the shop. The guy wouldn't believe when I told him I never touched the springs. Anyways, I decided to block it anyways, I don't care that much anymore and I just wanted a decent guitar to play on without having to worry about the stupid floating bridge. I noticed that the action was set really low and I had some pretty nasty buzzing on the bass strings ( the e was worst) and it felt like I was losing some sustain. I asked the tech to take a look and he just cranked the two post up on me. I'm not sure if that's legit so I wanted to ask around here. Is that the correct way to adjust the string height on this type of guitar? I had another guy look at the neck and he assured me she was a straight as can be and I should probably adjust the truss a 1/4 and see what that does.
Have you tuned a guitar with a full floating tremolo before? My first time I did exactly what you did... It's kind of a pain, but once you get the guitar set up right and tuned it is easy to maintain. Check out Rich's tech section about tuning and setup... Great info here! https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

For my 2 cents - The way I do it may not be right, but it works for me. (I do this for major tuning changes and string changes) Block both sides of the tremolo so it is level, retune or change strings or whatever, then pull the blocks out (it will go out of tune) then adjust springs to bring it back in tune. Trem should be level again.

As for adjusting the tremolo post height, I dive the bar down to release some tension and then adjust. A little lubricant on the post helps too, like chapstick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot. I permantly blocked the bridge already so i dont have to worry about the trem. I just loosened off the string tension and threw some lip goop on the posts and adjusted it down a bit. So far it feels pretty good. Next step is to find some decent pickups!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts