Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gotta buy a wireless router and i've already got a modem, but do i need to buy one of the routers with a built in modem or a cheaper one with no built in modem.

Please help

And if its not possible that this post can remain here, no worries.

Cheers,

Kev

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Depends what you are trying to achieve.
Would a wireless access point fill your needs? That would be cheaper still.
Having said that, wireless routers are pretty cheap these days, and often have the advantage of a built in firewall.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If your getting a wireless router so you can use wireless computers around your house such as laptops or desktops with wireless pci cards, you should go for a linksys wireless router. It would go internet connection>modem>router> and any devices that recieve the signal from the router. I havn't heard of a router with a modem built in, i mean a router is to divide the modem into more outputs. So to sum it up, just go for a wireless router, any type, a linksys would be the best bet as they are the easiest to set up.

Any more questions?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
And make sure you set up security, and make sure whatever you buy (I like Netgear the best) has WPA, not just WEP. WEP can be cracked in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
unique77 said:
I havn't heard of a router with a modem built in, i mean a router is to divide the modem into more outputs.
Your knowledge may be lacking a little then:
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CRWDR100A-72

Also, a router does not divide up a modem, that would be a hub or switch, but I'll stop now because I'm starting to sound like a complete geek!

Kev, that 3Com router is pretty good, and Dabs.co.uk do them for about £60 so they are well worth checking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmm i havn't seen those before, quite advanced. What i meant by divide though, is theres no point in really buying a router unless you want either wireless capability or more outputs. I would suspect you would just buy a hub then though, so i guess the only reason to buy a wireless router would be for the wireless capability. I know that my router kind of acts as a hub and a wireless access point at the same time. It splits my modem into four sinlge outputs in the back, and then i can use like 6 wireless deviced at the same time, and use that as the access point. It all comes down to what you wanna do with it.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
routers share a cable/dsl internet connection between multiple computers. they also serve as a hardware firewall that is useful even if you have a single PC.

most routers have wired switches to allow multiple PCs to network and share the connection via cat-5 cables.

wireless routers allow wired and wireless PCs to connect in a network and share your cable/dsl connection... glen

·
Registered
124 Posts
Polaris20 said:
And make sure you set up security, and make sure whatever you buy (I like Netgear the best) has WPA, not just WEP. WEP can be cracked in less than 5 minutes.
I've always wondered about that. I use WEP personally because I've always thought it was wireless security. So unless your where someone is close enough to your house to recieve your signal, then use it against your will, whats the point. Am I completely wrong and just being ignorant, or what? My computers are all firewalled too.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
unique77 said:
If your getting a wireless router so you can use wireless computers around your house such as laptops or desktops with wireless pci cards, you should go for a linksys wireless router. It would go internet connection>modem>router> and any devices that recieve the signal from the router. I havn't heard of a router with a modem built in, i mean a router is to divide the modem into more outputs. So to sum it up, just go for a wireless router, any type, a linksys would be the best bet as they are the easiest to set up.

Any more questions?

Ryan
I THINK he is asking if he needs a wireless router or a wireless access point. It's like a hub vs a router.

If you are on dsl internet, or cable dsl where you only have one IP assigned, to get your whole house online you will need a router as all computers will be sharing the same IP (or set up a computer as a router, that can be done too!). If you have 2 IPs and need to get 2 computers online (or 2 at once) then a WAP (Wireless Access Point) would do.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
use WPA (WAP-SK) w/ a long, random key.

then use MAC filtering to block all wireless PCs but your own and turn off SSID Broadcast :) ...glen

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
netgear or linksys are great choices. i use linksys. you can get routers with built in modems or just by themselves, as it has been mentioned already. i'm using broadband modem to linksys wireless G router.

...and i hate the term cable MODEM by the way since it's not really a modem anymore since it's digital. modulate / demodulate....analog to digital and back again, etc etc. anyway, sorry, i used to work for US Robotics as a tech / developer back in the day. true modems work on lan / analog pots lines.

and as glen said....mac address blocking to allow only those users with mac addresses you specify to be allowed access to your network.

good luck and have fun!
steve

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
shredmaster, you seem to be even more of a geek than me! A question for you, isn't it still technically a modem as the signal is still modulated onto a carrier wave?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you could see it as that but the signal is digital throughout the path and doesn't have to be converted from one form to another. a true modem will be analog and modulates then demodulates the signal at the other end. you know that an analog modem (pots lines) converts analog to digital and then back again to analog at the other end. modem is just a term that stuck since you are still using a little box (modem device) to get on the internet. and even pcmcia wireless nics...people call them modems but they are really in actuality cellular transmitters the same as a phone....i'm talking the sprint service ones...not the router ones...but still, all digital. i could talk about this all day. damn i guess i'm more of a geek than i thought...hehe. fun stuff...but not as fun back in the early 90's when we had to use dip switches to orchestrate different commands on the modems and modem pool hubs or netservers at USR.....remember those?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.