Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used guitar and it needs a new nut. I went online to buy one and with all the choices I am completely confused. To make matters worse, I measured the one currently on the guitar and the width doesn't match any of the 'standard' widths. I would really prefer not to buy a nut 'blank' or have to take it to a repair shop when this really should be a fairly easy DIY job.

The guitar is a 1991 470S (which was renamed the SF470 in 1992). It has a scale length of 24.75" and the nut width that I have measured MANY times is 1.67". The 1992 catalog claims that the SF470 has a VIPER neck with a 42mm nut width, but that translates to 1.653" and a Wizard neck specs the nut at 43mm, which converts to 1.692".

So my dilemma is that my nut is right in between 42 and 43mm and I can't figure out what size replacement to buy. I'm also concerned about the nut matching the fingerboard radius as the Wizard and Viper necks are totally different....430mm compared to 305mm.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I replaced the nut on one of my guitars I went to GraphTech's website. They have a guide of what to measure and a great selection of good quality nuts.
With their nuts you can sand off excess width (or depth, height etc).
Which reminds me, if anyone needs a Fender rolling nut, let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Musikron, I respect your opinion and will definitely consider a bone nut if I can't get the graphtech to fit properly.

For me it is cheaper and easier to fit a 'pre-cut' nut instead of having it completely hand-made. And since this guitar is a hard tail, I think the graphtech nut will work fine for this application.

I think nut 'material' is a personal preference and I am fine with using the graphtech product.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Less of an issue than the material is the "one size fits all" method used. Nut slots need to be cut specifically for the guitar, the playing style, for the string gauge and string spread. Also the pre slotted nuts do not use a progressive spacing, nor are they properly ramped. Kinda defeats the purpose of upgrading don't ya think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made sure to match the string spread from the existing nut. And all of the other specs on the new one are either exact or slightly larger, so I can sand it down to fit perfectly.

2 of the slots on the current nut were filed deeper by someone else before I got it and the strings buzz when played open. So this is just to get the guitar back to being playable.

If I was a professional touring musician I would definitely have a nut hand-made specifically for it, but since this is just a hobby for me, I think a generic, pre-cut one that is hand-fitted will work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.