1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...i have a chord progression like..
F#,A,C,G,E
is this in KEY of F# ?
how can i put bassline so that i can play different modes ?
suggestions ?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its kinda like a Gmajor,but with an added Bb and Db, so in fact, not much like a Gmaj at all! Are all the chords major chords?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, I'm absolutly not the expert on this, but maybe Eminor, avoiding the D note might sound cool? Is this a metal song? A cool lick to open the solo might be:

e--------|-----12-14-14/15\14------||
B-12b13-|---13---------------13----||
G-------|-14--------------------14--||

naturally all sweep picked, of course!

·
Registered
296 Posts
The progression sounds similar to a Dream Theater tune from the Metropolis video.

If you're going to start with F# it's safe to say it's "in the key of" F# Locrian Minor. F# Locrian contains the following notes...F#, G, A, B, C, D, and E.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
if you can resolve it correctly their are no wrong notes, play whatever man! The western music system has 12 notes in an octave. the indian system has 301 notes per octave. You're already getting a watered down system, to not consider every note is to limit your self even more!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Globbits is right, it's G major but I don't know where he got flattened D's and B's from??

The key of G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#....so it fits with your progression.

If you do however chose to play the G scale over the whole progression, be conscious that over the F# it will sound Locrian, over the A, it will sound Dorian, over the C it will sound Lydian, over the G it will sound Ionian and over the E it will sound Aeolian. Each mode has it's own particular 'sound'.

Best thing to do is to pick one mode....say, Phrygian and change the 'key' upon every chord change. Both Satriani and Vai do this well though satch is more a mixolydian type of guy.

As for the bassline, you'd probably be better off pumping out the root note so as not to make it anymore complicated than what it already is.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've just been trying it with Gb Phrygian switching to B Aeolian
Works for me but be carefull which notes you accentuate for mood and feel.

Ben

·
Registered
681 Posts
beyblade said:
Globbits is right, it's G major but I don't know where he got flattened D's and B's from??
It was the evil pixies speaking thier ill-tidings through me! (either that or too much rum...) :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
beyblade said:
Best thing to do is to pick one mode....say, Phrygian and change the 'key' upon every chord change.
can u please explain with an example or my mentioned chord progression.
it is a progressive metal song.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, happy to.

Chord------------Mode-------------Mode has the same notes as the Key of
F#5--------------F# Phrygian---------------------D
A5---------------A Phrygian-----------------------F
C5---------------C Phrygian-----------------------G#
G5---------------G Phrygian-----------------------D#
E5---------------E Phrygian-----------------------C

Phrygian may not be the best example because it does rely somewhat on the minor 3rd of the chord but if you keep it ambiguous by playing a 5 chord, then you will be OK. I'm not sure what progressive metal means but for death metal, phrygian works well but if it were more gothic or commercial metal then I'd stick to Ionian to make the solo sound a little more upbeat and melodic.

If that's all too much and I know it's a tough call changing modes/key with each chord (especially is the song is 180 bpm and chords change every bar or 2), then just stick to playing in the key of G over the whole progression. There are some notes to avoid landing on (like a G against the F#) but as a passing note, it's fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
if i was soloing over that progression, id be thinking more along the lines of C Lydian dominant (C D E F# G A Bb) just because itd give it a much different sound than just G major (or C lydian, same scale). you could also maybe try F# mixolydian b2 which is the same notes, but really nail that F# to G because thatll give it a nice, phrygian sound, but as you climb the scale, itll be more like a dominant 7 sound to give some harmonic movement then you can just finish the thing with something in C Lyd dominant or maybe just a flashy B/C#/F# minor pentatonic run or some sort.

just a thought, maybe experiment a lil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts