• HSH

Votes: 104 53.9%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HH vs HSH?

I do prefer HH over HSH config. Less cluttered, looks better, and IMO additional split tones are definitely not worth losing those sleek HH looks. And on a serious side, tones like split neck + middle s don't really have any real big advantage over split HH.

:wave:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
IMO it depends on the guitar. I love the 570 and 550 not just for their looks, but for the versatility of the HSH config. I know you can get something close with HH, but splititng the neck hum and the single or the single and splitting the bridge hum IMO gets some fun tones.
Quilt tops, though, IMO look better HH.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would certainly agree that I never use middle single coil on it's own!
However I do like the single coil combinations on the other positions so I couldnt really do away with it...
I suppose the best for me would be to replace the middle on it's own in position 3 with say inside coils of both HBs
Jim

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I use the lone singlecoil as much as any other pickup combination on my Jem, beautiful rhythm tone, I'd dare say I use the "in between" combinations more than I use the humbuckers by themselves.

I'm starting to be more and more convinced that SSS is the perfect configuration for my tastes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Stratocaster S-S-S setup is nice, although I can't think of many people who use the single coil neck pickup. Maybe just SRV and Eric Johnson.

I've toyed with the idea of PAFPro-Area61-PAF as a pickup combination. That way you have a low noise vintage strat sound that you could use alone, or blend with the PAF-based pickups. The output wouldn't be even between pickups, but I'm not sure how much of a concern that would be. I've always liked PAFs as rhythm pickups.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I'd say just about every Strat player who likes a thick blues tone would use it.
Yeah, if anything, I think it would be harder to find players who use the single coil bridge pickup moreso than the neck pickup.

But the list of people who use single coil neck pickups is big:

Trower
Hendrix
Clapton
SRV
(and every other blues rock player, Buddy Guy, etc...)
Eric Johnson
Timmons
Vinnie Moore
Yngwie
Paul Gilbert nowadays

Although some of the latter use single coil humless pickups, the tone is still gnerally single coil-ish.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I prefer HH greatly over HSH due to my love of combining the sou dof both humbuckers into a nice sweet sound. For me it's all out distortion on the bridge pickup which is great for leads or a nice chugga chugga but then if I want to go smoother, I switch to the in between and use both. All that's left is the neck for only cleans which works out well. Coil splitting is fun ;).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.