Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of tuning an 8 string guitar up to a high A instead of a low F# or whatever note it is, and I was wondering if I would be able to find a string that would be thin enough to do that on without it breaking. I tried tuning my brother's Strat's .009 high E up to an A and it broke, SHHHHHHHHH. I would be using a fixed bridge if that helps. Thanks.
Galen.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've seen it being done with basses (albeit 9-string basses), but i've never really seen it on guitars.

I think Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit's guitarist) tunned his 7-strings with an extra E or something, so i'm sure it's possible.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Lenny Breau used to do it but he had a 24 inh scale length. I suspect that with a high A, you'll end up breaking too many strings. What you can do though is to tune the entire instrument down a full tone and then add a high G. That would give you DGCFADG. Youll get a little more size and warmth from tuning down a tone and the same relative pitch on the added string as you would with the high A.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Chud said:
I've seen it being done with basses (albeit 9-string basses), but i've never really seen it on guitars.

I think Wes Borland (Limp Bizkit's guitarist) tunned his 7-strings with an extra E or something, so i'm sure it's possible.
I'm naturally no Borland expert but I'm reasonably sure that was a unison E.

·
Registered
882 Posts
No, I've never tried it. I do remember Wes saying that he'd play on the one E, while letting the other act as a drone note. You could probably tune one of them slightly sharp, or flat, for an interesting kind of chorus effect.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had an 8 string and an .008 did not work. The guitar tech and I were able to get it to an A and G# but it always broke seconds after. With an .008 we could get a steady G, but that's about it. I think to go higher than that you need a .007.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.