Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an RG450M that I bought in December 2013. I've been using it on the road a lot, and it's been working great up until a few weeks ago. The high E string (which is a .009) keeps breaking at the locking nut way too frequently than it normally does, and I have no idea why. I examined the nut, and felt no sharp edges in the problematic slot.

I've tried lubricating it with pencil lead and nut sauce, I've used very fine P240 grit sand paper along with 0000 grade steel wool just to be double sure, and I don't think I'm locking them too tight since I use about the same amount of pressure (firm, but not over tightened) on all of my other locking nut guitars with no problems doing so.

Any ideas to what might remedy this issue?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did you check the lock block itself? It could have developed a burr.... If the saddle itself isn't the problem, that's the only thing left...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like a burr to me...

You're not using Ernie Ball 009s are you? Years ago I had a hellish time with them with the High E breaking in the middle of gigs even with a fresh set - gave up and went to D'Addarios and Rotosound - much better strings.

'87

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you check the lock block itself? It could have developed a burr.... If the saddle itself isn't the problem, that's the only thing left...
I see a tiny bit of wear through the black powder coating on the high E side. I'll finely sand that part down and hope for the best.

Sounds like a burr to me...

You're not using Ernie Ball 009s are you? Years ago I had a hellish time with them with the High E breaking in the middle of gigs even with a fresh set - gave up and went to D'Addarios and Rotosound - much better strings.

'87
I've been using Ernie Ball for years, and I usually don't have too many problems. I'll give D'Addarios a shot. I'm almost at the point of just replacing the whole nut anyway since it's one of the cheapest locking nuts Ibanez has.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strike that, found the burr on the locking pad right where I always break the string after going over it more.

Luckily I have a replacement for it. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts