Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intonation very low on the high e string, furthermore, string action is also very low on that string.
Is the intonation problem a result of the low string action, it is also buzzing a lot?
Should I raise the bridge on the treble side. I have the original edge bridge. Its on a Genesis rg550

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction, not low, but flat.
Intonation very flat on high e-string. Also the string action very low, so it buzzez on many frets on the e-string. Especially on the first 7 frets

What to do?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Fret buzz at that end of the neck suggests insufficient relief, but if it is only the high E that would be odd- twisted neck or a fret issue somewhere. What is your action like at the 12th fret?

Sort that before getting into the intonation. If fretted notes are flat you need to move the saddle towards the neck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fret buzz at that end of the neck suggests insufficient relief, but if it is only the high E that would be odd- twisted neck or a fret issue somewhere. What is your action like at the 12th fret?

Sort that before getting into the intonation. If fretted notes are flat you need to move the saddle towards the neck.
About 1 mm on 12th fret high e string and almost 2 mm on low e string

It is very strange, I bought the guitar a few years back, and ended up not playing it. But I vaugely remember lowering the bridge slighly to get a lower string action. And I am 100% certain that I did not do anything with saddles. So how can intionation all of a sudden go without me changing the saddles?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
1mm is very low, I suggest you raise it a little but these things are all personal preference. It is possible you have a dodgy or damaged string too. Try changing it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
1mm is very low, I suggest you raise it a little but these things are all personal preference. It is possible you have a dodgy or damaged string too. Try changing it.
Definitely worth checking this..
I had a JS 1000 that buzzed only on the high e.
Drove me mad for ages. I got my fret rocker out, no high frets.. Raised the bridge. Still awful.
Was starting to get paranoid that my neck had a twist as the relief was fine everywhere else.

Turned out it was the way the string was resting in the locking part of the trem.
And as soon as I changed the string the issue just disappeared and never returned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I want to raise it, but for some strange reason, I can't find the correct allen wrench, what size should it be, you know?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely worth checking this..
I had a JS 1000 that buzzed only on the high e.
Drove me mad for ages. I got my fret rocker out, no high frets.. Raised the bridge. Still awful.
Was starting to get paranoid that my neck had a twist as the relief was fine everywhere else.

Turned out it was the way the string was resting in the locking part of the trem.
And as soon as I changed the string the issue just disappeared and never returned.
Interesting!

Will change string if it doesn't work with raising the bridge. Just need to figure out correct allen wrench size

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes I want to raise it, but for some strange reason, I can't find the correct allen wrench, what size should it be, you know?
4mm, and a 1.5mm for the locking one inside (I think the genesis has them)
I have the wrench for the inner lock, but the main 4mm I don't seem to have. Need to go and get one, will be back asap, and let you know how it is going. Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a correct allen wrench, raised the bridge where action now is about 1,5 mm around 12th fret. If I raise it more action will be too high on the high frets.

However...

It is still buzzing all over the fretboard on the high e string and intonation is still way off on high e string

Very annoying.

I was going to loosen the neck a little, but notice it is not an allen wrench but seem to need something else?

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
By high e do you mean the unwound string? If so put pressure on the back half of the e and b saddles and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
By high e do you mean the unwound string? If so put pressure on the back half of the e and b saddles and see if it goes away.
Yes unwounded string.

You mean just push down towards the guitar? I did push with my fingers on the e string saddle just to see, buzzing still there.

Also turned the neckscrew counter clockwise to add more relief to the neck, but still buzzing and flat note.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The back half of the saddle, not the front half where the string is locked in.
Yes still buzzing

And now I added more relief to the neck so now the action on the unwounded high e string is closer to 2mm on 12th fret and still buzzing on fret 1 to 7.
Not nearly as bad as before, but still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes still buzzing

And now I added more relief to the neck so now the action on the unwounded high e string is closer to 2mm on 12th fret and still buzzing on fret 1 to 7.
That action is very high and it should not buzz on any frets from there.

Take a bank card, or any similar card that is hard plastic. Place it covering the 7/8/9 frets (on edge) and try to see if the card will rock side to side over the 8th fret. Or any fret. Either your 8th fret is coming loose and is way to high, or you have an issue with the Nut, or Bridge. Is my guess.

Also, if you have put more relief in the neck just to try fix the buzz and it did not work, get it set back to an "in spec" position. Try not to compound the problem by getting everything else out of whack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just ruling out saddle buzz, I certainly don't have your answer.
Yes, I know, I appreciate your and everyone elses help!

Yes still buzzing

That action is very high and it should not buzz on any frets from there.

Take a bank card, or any similar card that is hard plastic. Place it covering the 7/8/9 frets (on edge) and try to see if the card will rock side to side over the 8th fret. Or any fret. Either your 8th fret is coming loose and is way to high, or you have an issue with the Nut, or Bridge. Is my guess.

Also, if you have put more relief in the neck just to try fix the buzz and it did not work, get it set back to an "in spec" position. Try not to compound the problem by getting everything else out of whack.
Not sure I understand correctly but I put the card over 7/8/9 frets and it seems like the card is flush to the frets, so no problem there as far I can tell, I could be wrong though.

Yes, I think I will tighten the neck a bit again. But the buzz got slightly less with the current relief. But action too high for my taste.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Did you ever try another string? I fought a string buzz problem years ago on an old Les Paul that turned out to be the high e string having a "bend" in it. Like maybe one of my kids knocked it over onto something with a hard corner or something. Was easy to see by sighting down the string, like when you visually check neck relief, etc... Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? If it is not a high fret, the next logical cause would be a neck with back bow. Does your neck have the proper relief? This is not measured simply be tracking the string height at the 12th fret.

Set your neck relief then worry about the string height. If you are not sure how to do this there are plenty of guides on YT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts