Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whats the deal? Just one pedal, a digitech RP500 multi-fx hisses (not buzzes) when put in front of the amp (blackstar HT-5 head). Perfectly clean when in the fx loop. It will have a hiss no matter what setting (incl. Volume), except for totally bypassing. I've tried all kinds of stuff, but any good suggestions?

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Hey Frank select that patch with hiss(or any patch with hiss).

1- Put the unit in bypass(with all effects in that patch on)
Hiss should be gone so problem is with one of the effects.
If even in bypass there's hiss, try a different ac adaptor.

2- Let's find which effect has the problem, turn all effects off(in the same patch).
Then start turning them on till got which one is the problem.

There's impedance difference (or something like it, i don't know the right term in english) between loop connections and amp front connection so that could be causing it, you have to set your pedal different to not get that hiss from your amp front connection.

Hope that could help ;)

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Yep that's sounds like the go. Impedence problem with the processor matching to the amp. There's a switch on the back of the HT-5 to select impedance from memory for the loop to select the right options for pedals or processors. That doesn't happen on the front though.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Don't me barging and ask some question, normally if you have a multieffect you plug it into the fx loop return or send? Which means is it like this?

Guitar-----> Efx---> Return or send loop of amp?

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Dude................ your Efx OUT is SENDING sound, right?
How could you plug your Efx out to your amp SEND?
Both would be SENDING so where the hell did the sound could go?
While one sends the other one receives, just like anything in life.
Out --- In
Send---Return.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Don't me barging and ask some question, normally if you have a multieffect you plug it into the fx loop return or send? Which means is it like this?

Guitar-----> Efx---> Return or send loop of amp?
mi2tom

It is:

Guitar ---> Pedal Input
Pedal Send ---> Amp Input
Amp Send ---> Pedal Return
Pedal Output ---> Amp Return

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
mi2tom

It is:

Guitar ---> Pedal Input
Pedal Send ---> Amp Input
Amp Send ---> Pedal Return
Pedal Output ---> Amp Return

I hope this helps.
That's only if the amp you are using has the 4 cable method though, is it not? Otherwise you plug your guitar into the input of the processor, and the pedal out into the return of the effects loop of your amp. Makes the processor your preamp and then utilises the power amp stage of your amp obviously for the power amp stage. This means that the preamp of the amp doesn't interfere with your processors tone.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just looked at the manual for the RP500. On the back there is a switch that says Amp/Mixer. Should be in amp mode for direct into the amp input, mixer mode for the FX loop.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, I made one of the most entertaining threads in a while.... :grin:

I just looked at the manual for the RP500. On the back there is a switch that says Amp/Mixer. Should be in amp mode for direct into the amp input, mixer mode for the FX loop.
Yes, I've tried this and everything Treva said. It is looking like impedence I believe. Which is a little strange... How would I go about solving that? No switches I know of. It could maybe be the PSU, but I think it would hiss all the time, right?

Thanks so much guys! (for the info and the laugh ;))

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, I made one of the most entertaining threads in a while.... :grin:

Yes, I've tried this and everything Treva said. It is looking like impedence I believe. Which is a little strange... How would I go about solving that? No switches I know of. It could maybe be the PSU, but I think it would hiss all the time, right?

Thanks so much guys! (for the info and the laugh ;))
Well, the amp/mixer switch is supposed to care of that. Perhaps it has malfunctioned, leaving it in mixer mode only.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts