Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Finally it's done, I put my hand on my first Ibanez and it's a 2000 UV777PBK! I bought it from a guy who live near! The guitar is in excellent condition, now crack, no ding even no pick scratch on the mirror pickguard. Apparently he didn't want to play/gig with it by scare of making some wear on it.

Here some pics! http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/user/Moris_7/library/Ibanez Universe UV777PBK

I have made some little setup and the guitar begin to suite me well. The action was really high (I mean HIGH), I lowered it a lot and now it's much better. That's my first experience with a floyd, that's not so painful like much people said.

I just have some questions;

-I about to restring it, what's the standard gauge for this model?

-While restringing, I would clean the fretboard, it there a way to block the trem when all the strings are gone?

-What are you using to clean the fretboard and the back of the maple neck?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That is a beautiful guitar - congratulations mon ami!!!

The standard string gauge for a 7 string would be .009 - .054. Here is good link with some info that might help you:

http://www.ibanez.com/support/help

When I want to clean the board on one of my guitars with a floating trem I just lift the trem sharp and stick a 9 volt battery or a piece of wood about the same size in the front cavity under the trem to keep the trem in place while I remove all the strings. I use Dunlop lemon oil on the rosewood fingerboards but I don't use that on a maple surface....on maple I just use a slightly damp and warm cloth.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dorian,

Thanks for your help, I will try to do this. This neck is a charm, and need to be straight and clean!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Congrats on the new guitar! I have the same model and it's even the same year. I love it. Personally, I use Ernie Ball 7-string Super Slinky, which are 9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42 and 52, but string gauge really is a personal preference, so I suggest you try a few different sets as you go.

As far as blocking the trem, I never do that with a Lo-pro. The reason being is the allen screws for the string retainers are on top. I only block trems where these are below, like the original Edge. But again, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Congrats again an the guitar.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for not having the money for one of those for $500. I'm dreaming of someday getting one with the Edge Pro so I can do the MIDI / Piezo mod to it easier.

Congrats and enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts