Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Allan Holdsworth do any sort of alternate picking runs? I have seen/heard about his amazing legato but have never heard about him doing any alternate picking. Any other players that mainly use a legato approach?

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I'm a big Holdsworth fan, and I have never seen him do an alternate picked run! He hates the sound of pick attack. In fact he doesn't even like the guitar as an instrument! Gotta love the fact that arguably the most technically advanced guitar player in the world doesn't like the instrument he plays. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Joe Satriani is also a fine example of a player who uses nearly no alternate picking in his playing.

I suppose Eddie van Halen fits in that category aswell, more or less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is interesting. I find myself only liking the sound of legato playing as well. In fact I have been working on tapped arpeggios as opposed to sweep picked arpeggios because I like the smoothness of the tapping. Are there any other players you can think of that are mostly legato players?

·
Registered
570 Posts
That is interesting. I find myself only liking the sound of legato playing as well. In fact I have been working on tapped arpeggios as opposed to sweep picked arpeggios because I like the smoothness of the tapping. Are there any other players you can think of that are mostly legato players?
You'll love Robbert Hanenberg then, flowing arpeggio's are just his thing.
He combines sweeping, string skipping and tapping to a fluid sound.
Check out the stuff on his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/robberthanenberg

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You'll love Robbert Hanenberg then, flowing arpeggio's are just his thing.
He combines sweeping, string skipping and tapping to a fluid sound.
Check out the stuff on his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/robberthanenberg
Thank you for posting another great dutch player! I didn't know the guy yet!

Are you familiar with Agharta, a dutch guitar instrumental project?

On topic: Ritch Kotzen also has some amazing legato technique.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Joe Satriani is also a fine example of a player who uses nearly no alternate picking in his playing.

I suppose Eddie van Halen fits in that category aswell, more or less.
not sure where you gathered that information from lol. satch uses alt picking every song

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only song I can think of where satch does an alternate picking run is in "flying in a blue dream", most of his other runs are pure legato.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
???????? has the definition of alternate picking changed? or are you specifically referring to a 32 note shred run?

·
Registered
570 Posts
???????? has the definition of alternate picking changed? or are you specifically referring to a 32 note shred run?
The point is not that players don't use alternate picking *at all* (heck, even Holdsworth does some of it)... but rather that legato phrases are the 'trademark' of their playing style. They use legato more often, and in more creative ways than the average guitarist.
Satriani is considered to be pretty much THE legato player in the rock/metal genre.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry, but I dissagree. What I got from him was "Look at me I can play really fast with both hands."
You're kidding me...
Listen to that think called Heavy Prog for example. Or the thing called Ballad (solo part), especially the outro.
The stuff he throws in reminds me of arpeggio's that Jean-Michel Jarre would use. I have never heard any other guitarist play stuff like that.

Sure, he can do alternate picking and regular scale-based stuff aswell, but these fluid arpeggio's are his trademark, and something I've never heard anyone else pull off. They are also the best use of arpeggio's I ever heard on a guitar.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We will have to agree to disagree.
Not really. We can't disagree on the fact that he has a very original and virtuoso way of playing legato/arpeggio's. I think "He plays really fast with both hands" isn't doing his playing justice.
There are lots of guitarists that can play fast with both hands, but none of them sound anywhere near Hanenberg. You may not like his music, but that's not a reason to disrespect his ability and originality.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts