Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
About to purchase a Hosco Fret Crowning File ( http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/luthier-tools/fretting/fret-file-medium.html ), but I'd like a little advice please.

I have an Ibanez SA260fm (2009).
Wiki's say it's "medium" frets. It's certainly smaller than my RG's frets.
Measured, they come to 3mm at the bass.

Now, there are three files: small 1mm radius, medium 2mm radius, and large 3mm radius.
Maybe you can see my dilemma.

Do I choose 2mm, because they are "medium" frets.
Or do I choose 3mm, because the bass of the fret is 3mm?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
If you need to do stainless frets, or are preparing to do multiple fret jobs its prudent. The extra cost isn't really worth it for the rare occasional DIY though. The tool itself is definitely worth the cost, but you have to look at the usage of it as well.

2times the cost for 5 times the life, the math certainly makes sense.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
2 times the cost for 1/10 the cleanup after of somebody that is going to get nothing but chatter marks on every fret because he doesn't have the right stroke in his bag ;)

Although using a cross hatch jewelers file like you recommend will eliminate that.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
2 times the cost for 1/10 the cleanup after of somebody that is going to get nothing but chatter marks on every fret because he doesn't have the right stroke in his bag ;)

Although using a cross hatch jewelers file like you recommend will eliminate that.
haha, thats very fair as well!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Shipping and VAC adds significantly to the cost here Ryc :-/

I personally don't like any fret crowning files, you can do the same job with normal jewelers files if you have a steady hand.

I'm afraid I have to agree with cost & postage to the UK.
It simply isn't worth spending upwards of £80-100 for two guitars worth of work.

Which files did you use there? It looks fantastic!
Rounded files, 3 sided files?

I found these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Diamond-Files-Set-Of-5-prcode-999-3801#
It includes the 3 sided, but it's not ground down on the edges, so would probably eat into the wood.

To be fair, I probably don't want to spend a long time on this. Hand working each fret with those jewellers files would probably take much much longer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update:
I called http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/
I discussed the options with the guy, he said the Hosco ones are perfectly fine. Had a look at some recommended videos and he's confident it will work perfectly fine.

He said medium OR large. Depending on what look/feel I want. Went for medium, but can switch for free if I need to. Such a nice guy.

I'll update everyone as I continue along, wish me luck! lol
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I'm afraid I have to agree with cost & postage to the UK.
It simply isn't worth spending upwards of £80-100 for two guitars worth of work.

Which files did you use there? It looks fantastic!
Rounded files, 3 sided files?

I found these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Diamond-Files-Set-Of-5-prcode-999-3801#
It includes the 3 sided, but it's not ground down on the edges, so would probably eat into the wood.

To be fair, I probably don't want to spend a long time on this. Hand working each fret with those jewellers files would probably take much much longer.
I used some cheap files I got from harbor freight haha. The neck didn't take long. I leveled with an aluminum beam and sand paper up to 1000, then used a flat file I ground the edges on, then used jewelers files to get the ball ends. Took me about 4 hours to do a full neck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used some cheap files I got from harbor freight haha. The neck didn't take long. I leveled with an aluminum beam and sand paper up to 1000, then used a flat file I ground the edges on, then used jewelers files to get the ball ends. Took me about 4 hours to do a full neck
Wow, nice job man!
First time?

I have troubles with my hands, so not really the route I want to go down. But I applaud you. Beautiful work!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Wow, nice job man!
First time?

I have troubles with my hands, so not really the route I want to go down. But I applaud you. Beautiful work!
Not my first time haha, but its a part that's intimidating but really not THAT difficult. Just take your time with whatever route you choose, and you will come out on top!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Anyone have any good info on how to do ball end frets and with what file(s)?
I literally just answered this lol. To be fair, more then one way to skin a cat I suppose.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
I'd recommend the stew mac 18" milled level bar, you'll need 220 and 320 for the bar, then 400 800 etc or micro mesh to bring up the polish. Jewelers file for any end work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a good file on eBay for $5.19 to make it usable flatten the edges of the crowning side edges with a sand stone it will take about ten minutes to do just rub the sandstone on the front as if you were crowning a fret then roll it to the left and right to round the edges buy the stone here
Combination Grit Double Sided Knife Honing Sharpener Sharpening Stone HY eBay item number:191820474040 $4.57 and buy the fret file here with this eBay number
Guitar Fret Crowning Luthier File Narrow Dual Cutting Edge Tool P4K7
( 272655868283 ) all with free posting 0424494871

1 - 20 of 20 Posts