Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a PAF-Pro installed in an RG520, it is a mahogany body. The PAF-Pro sounds good (bridge position), but I'm thinking about something with a bit more output. Looking for suggestions.

Options I've come up with are Mo' Joe, Breed (neck), Tone Zone.

Anybody have any ideas. Tone Zone is about perfect output wise, but I'm worried about it being too muddy sounding with a mahogany body.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Breed neck is actually a beefier and a bit louder version of the paf pro, I'd go for the breed neck.

·
Registered
781 Posts
In my opinion doesn't Breed neck sound anything close to a PAF Pro with more output.
It might come from a PAF Pro (even if I never heard that from DiMarzio themselves).
It has a very different EQ then PAF Pro.

But it is still a great bridge pickup.

I think Mo’ Joe is the “closest” to a little hotter PAF Pro that DiMarzio have.

But if you think Tone Zone is good output wise, then you probably think that Mo’ Joe is to weak (it has only very little more output then PAF Pro).
Tone Zone works great in a mahogany guitar, but it is far from PAF Pro sounding.
Norton might be a good choice?
EVO 2 could be a good choice too.

But they are not really PAF Pro sounding.

/Magnus

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion doesn't Breed neck sound anything close to a PAF Pro with more output. It might come from a PAF Pro (even if I never heard that from DiMarzio themselves).It has a very different EQ then PAF Pro.

But it is still a great bridge pickup.

I think Mo' Joe is the "closest" to a little hotter PAF Pro that DiMarzio have.

But if you think Tone Zone is good output wise, then you probably think that Mo' Joe is to weak (it has only very little more output then PAF Pro).
Tone Zone works great in a mahogany guitar, but it is far from PAF Pro sounding.
Norton might be a good choice?
EVO 2 could be a good choice too.

But they are not really PAF Pro sounding.

/Magnus
I mention the Tone Zone because I used to have it in an Alder bodied guitar, and I really liked it. So it was one I would definitely consider it again even if its not so PAF sounding.

As for the Breed neck, that was actually Steve Blucher's suggestion when I asked Dimarzio the same question.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I mention the Tone Zone because I used to have it in an Alder bodied guitar, and I really liked it. So it was one I would definitely consider it again even if its not so PAF sounding.

As for the Breed neck, that was actually Steve Blucher's suggestion when I asked Dimarzio the same question.
How did your alder body guitar sound unplugged?
If it sounded similar to the one you have now (also played unplugged), then you will get a very similar sound now.

Yeah, Breed is a great bridge pickup; I have that in a couple of guitars.
I just meant that it doesn't sound like a bit hotter PAF Pro.

/Magnus

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
That's the same thing he told me when I asked him bout a thicker paf pro. He says breed neck.

Yeah, Breed is a great bridge pickup; I have that in a couple of guitars.
I just meant that it doesn't sound like a bit hotter PAF Pro.
Have you ever tried Breed NECK in the bridge position? I tried it on someones guitar and I have a paf pro in the bridge in my guitar, tonally they do sound the same, but the breed neck in the bridge is just beefier than the paf pro but still remains the characteristic of the paf pro and just slighly louder.

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's the same thing he told me when I asked him bout a thicker paf pro. He says breed neck.

Have you ever tried Breed NECK in the bridge position? I tried it on someones guitar and I have a paf pro in the bridge in my guitar, tonally they do sound the same, but the breed neck in the bridge is just beefier than the paf pro but still remains the characteristic of the paf pro and just slighly louder.
I do not doubt or question that Steve says that it sounds like a thicker PAF Pro.
But I think he means that it is the pickup that sound closest to the characteristics of the PAF Pro if you are looking for a hotter and thicker pickup in that style.
I mean that it is not a hotter PAF Pro, but the pickup that is closest to being a hotter PP.
In my personal opinion is a pickup that is hotter, has a completely different EQ, a different pickup. In my opinion can't you really change that much a keep the characteristics (depending on how wide view you have for saying "the same characteristics" I guess).

Yes, I have breed neck (DP165) in the bridge in probably 3-4 guitars right now.
And I have A/B tested DP165 and PAF Pro in the same guitar, changing noting but the pickup in the entire sound chain.

I don't think you can judge a pickup (or a guitar, or anything) from trying one in a friend's guitar (probably in his rig) and then you're pickup in another guitar (and maybe a different rig).
A pickup is a consistent sound source; all PAF Pro's do sound the same, but everything ells in the chain does not. The PAF Pro in 4 different guitars and you will, more or less, have 4 different sounds.

Sorry writing so much, but pickups really are a hobby of mine, and I like taking about it.
I have loads of pickups home and very often do players from Sweden come here to try out what pickups that would be good for them. And I do a funny little test with some people that have "this or that wood always sound like… and this or that pickup does not sound good in this or that wood" ideas. I put them on a stole, turn the amp on and give them a guitar and tell them to tell me what they think and if they want hotter/weaker, more/less bas treble and so on.
They might say "to hot, want something weaker", and I give them another guitar with another pickup. Then they might go, this pickup has too much bas or something, and we go through about 10 guitars with different pickups.
And they would have pickup that was everything between perfect and not good at all.

Then I tell them that all pickups were the same, they have tried 10 guitars with Breed (DP166) in them. And all pickups were wired the same and many of the guitars are axactly the same.
Some of them don't believe me until I show them that all of them have the same pickup.

What I'm saying, in my long and complicated way :), is that I think you really need to try both pickups in your own guitar (another guitar of the same model is not close enough) and in your own rig to have a reliable idea of what the difference between two pickups really are.

/Magnus

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Yeah, I prolly should try it one the same guitar, it's just that soldering and resetup the guitar is what I lazy to do :)

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
I hear ya, if you're working at a guitar store and always changing pickup, setting up strings, repairing pedals, changing fretwire I guess you'll be too lazy to even change your own pickup ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys... for what it's worth I decided to give the Tone Zone a go, since I liked it before. We'll see how it fares in the mahogany body.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys... for what it's worth I decided to give the Tone Zone a go, since I liked it before. We'll see how it fares in the mahogany body.
why don't you try a Norton or Air Norton in the bridge? It's a mix of a tone zone and a fred so it's sorta like a paf.

supposed to sound like a hot traditional pickup so that might be in the vein of what you need.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tone Zone arrived and I installed it before practice today. Sounded great. Not much like the PAF, but still with the "Aw" sound in it. Of course, I did need to tweak my amp a little to get it to sound right, but that's to be expected with a new pickup. So far so good, I'm happy with it for now.

I moved the PAF Pro I had in the bridge position to the neck, that sounds excellent. I see why so many people like the PAF Pro in the neck position now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was really fortunate to find a Dimarzio Paf Pro on Ebay used that had a Ohm reading of 9.4, I was skeptical at first but when I got it I tested it and it read 9.5!!!!! I placed it in the bridge of my vigier and Damn,...it seemed to my ears like it had more pronounced midrange and more bite, its my favorite bridge pickup and would love to A/B test it against a 'regular" paf pro,....is this a normal occurrence at dimarzio, to mildly overwrap its pickups, or just a slipup???

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
There's always a bit of wiggle room with resistance. It's impossible to get exact consistent resistance measurements across a group of things. The resistance spec on the site will be the average they are aiming for, give or take maybe 10%.

In saying that, if you want a hotter PAF Pro, swap the alnico 5 magnet out for an Alnico 8. That'll give you a bit more output. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's always a bit of wiggle room with resistance. It's impossible to get exact consistent resistance measurements across a group of things. The resistance spec on the site will be the average they are aiming for, give or take maybe 10%.

In saying that, if you want a hotter PAF Pro, swap the alnico 5 magnet out for an Alnico 8. That'll give you a bit more output. ;)
Yeah, I understood the aspect of the fluxuations so to speak in being a little up at times as I suspect they never try to go the other way too much and wrap something lower than their advertised 8.2k Im remembering right.

I replaced an Air Classic with the Paf pro and of course Im excactly where I want to be in terms of output and tone, to tell you the truth a "regular" 8.2k would of been fine, I can tell in the aggressiveness of its attack It is unlike any other paf pro I have had in any other guitar ( and I have had a few) I thank you and it is good to know I have that option now! ...........And by no way am I inferring that the Air Classic is a bad pickup, because by no means is that true, Its actually a great pickup, I just desired a little more aggressiveness and edge in the tone and the Paf pro seems to have that characteristic while the paf pro has it in spades,.....thank you for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts