Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2 Dimarzio air classics and a Dimarzio blue velvet single coil (low output) I was wondering, is there any way of boosting my output without changing my pickups or using pedals? See I like to take my guitar to guitar shops and play it through different amps, but it just sounds crunchy even with a mesa triple rectifier up full. I don't wanna be humpin pedals about or changing my sound as I love my tone, I just wanna push it to a higher output, is this possible? Thanks
Regards
Jonny

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Built in boost circuit, similar to the Clapton Strat mid boost?

Why not just put a boost pedal in your gig bag/guitar case? It isn't a lot of kit to carry about. Most guitar shops will probably have one you could borrow anyway.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Moving your pickups closer to the strings increases output a bit more, but you can always just shove a booster unit into your guitar. If you're good with a soldering iron and simple electronics, you can build your own mini booster unit. (you can also get higher output pickups like an Air Zone or Tone Zone)

Personally, I would still use a Tubescreamer, SD-1 or some other overdrive pedal into the frontend of my amp. Do note that you can usually mod a cheap distortion/overdrive pedal into a clean(er) boost pedal but swapping out the diodes.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
what's wrong with having a boost pedal? At least with a pedal you can use it with any guitar you have. If you just put a boost circuit on your guitar you can only use it on that guitar. Pretty lame if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Are you sure the pickups are working right?
I had an HS-3 in a strat that barely broke up on a hi gain head and it turned out the pick up was bad.
You may have a loose wire or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.