Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to learn how to sing and play at the same time, but I just have a huge fear of even doing chorus along with the lead singer. I mean I can't even open my mouth and take it serious cause I'm convinced I'll sound like complete crap....hell I can't even sing in fron of the wife!!

So how did you guyz get over your fear?? I guess it's just a confidence issue for me. Thx in advance!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you are genuinely seeking your true voice then I implore you to read Patsy Rodenburg's book "The Right to Speak" and DO THE EXERCISES contained therein. Also watch her video "A Voice of your Own". Then find a facilitator who utilises her techniques and flows with her philosophy.

Patsy is an extremely gifted and talented voiceworker who had worked with thousands of singers, actors, artists, some extremely famous; others not yet. Her work is groundbreaking and powerful. This is not a dress rehearsal - this is life. Get on with it and speak from your balls/heart.

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=3559

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i used to sing in a band back in high school, but only because we had everything but a singer and no-one else was willing to try.

i overcame my fear of singing by wearing butt-less spandex outfits, performing questionable high-kicking karate routines, and playing suggestively with an oversized microphone.

no, wait... that's david lee roth.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
The first gig I sung lead at was interstate so no one knew me. It went well so I was right to go back home and perform in front of people I would see all the time!

One month before I did that I would never have thought I would do it, I sung backing vocals in my previous band, but mostly hid in the background. All of a sudden that band broke up and myself and one of the other members started another band. We found a bass player, I wrote some songs and then realised I was the only one in a position to sing. I just did it and it went well.

Just do it, plus all the girls notice you when you sing! ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Heh,
I live in Japan a country where people do karaoke for 5 hours at a time sober..
you constantly have to sing in front of friends and co workers who see u everyday and are quite capable of making your life a misery if you suck as much as i do!
Still i think its compulsory and after 1 year out here i have little problem singing infront of anyone despite the fact that i make an a** of myself everytime!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmmm, when I was say, 4 or 5-years-old, I used to sing along to little Chinese children's songs on tape (quite funny watching the old video tapes my mom took of me, lol). Then when my parents threw me into Chinese school on Saturday mornings, sponsored by the Stockton Chinese Baptist Church, they also signed me up for the choir. Hell, back then, I probably sang alto. lol But anyway, I never really started singing stuff on my own until maybe after I left the Korn/Limp Bizkit phase (thank God), which was maybe a year or two ago. I just started singing along with some Iced Earth stuff, and it was all smooth sailin' from there. Just sing along with songs until you're comfortable with your own voice. That's basically how I did it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think the first time I started singing in front of people was in my back yard after quite a few Keiths Ales (great Canadian brew from Nova Scotia). I had my twelve string out and was playing a few recognizable standards. People were throwing out requests but I found unless you take control of the song and sing it yourself no one else will join in. So after that I decided to learn a few good drinking tunes that I could easly pull off after a few pints. I actually recorded myself performing them to see if my voice sounded ok and I found it was nothing great but certainly not bad either. Certainly no worse than Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson and a host of others who've made a living with a guitar and their voice. Everyones voice is unique but that's what makes you recognizable. The more you practice by yourself and in front of people the better and more confident you'll be.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
$100 SM58
$50 boom mic stand
$30 mic cable
= most expensive pick holder i've ever seen ; )
just do it. the more you sing the more you'll get used to hearing your own voice and get over your fears. if it was easy - everybody would be a singer.
Dylan sang
Hendrix sang but hated his own voice - he had such a unique sound and you could feel his passion.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Hendrix had an awesome voice, definitely agree there.

I hate my voice too - especially when I hear it recorded. I have had others say it sounds good though, and if other people like it it can't be that bad! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
After rehearsal (?) with my band, when we drive home, the whole bunch just sings out loud to the radio/cd. We don't really care if we miss or hit the tones, is just for fun. But I think that's a very good way to overcome your fear of singing.

Sing to the radio/cd when your alone in you car or something. Nobody is listening so just .. lose yourself :p

That's the best advice I can give you :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
That doesn't help for me though. I can go quite mad in my room where no one sees me and sing all the time but when I'm in public... hell I think I'm really shy, I can't even dance in front of people. Once my girlfriend tried to shake me in order to get me swaying when all the people do when a ballad plays. I couldn't jsut move. I was just standing there without doing anyting. All the people looking at me. She ended up holding me by my arm and swaying me... Duh I really am sucker while I'm in front of people. I can't just speak among a handful of persons let alone sing. But when I'm alone I can do all of those :) Btw, I can play guitar in front of other people. I just do not notice them as I play. that's good. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Phew,.. I know that fear !

When I started guitar lessons sometimes my teacher would ask me to come up with a melody, and to sing it and then figure it out on the guitar. I could never come with an idea,... loads of things popped into my head, but I just couldn't wouldn't sing it.

Fairly recently, I was recording a little concept song which had a vocal line ( Ooops, why did I ever come up with a vocal line !!??). Being the creative feloow that I am, I worked my way around singing by playing the line on my guitar and recorded it that way.. And life was good
Until I recorded the guitar parts,....
Everything became a mess, the vocal line would blend and mix and swirl with the rest of the music... it just wasn't really "there"
- gulp -
I picked the SM57 from my cab and sortof pointed it towards my face...
Started the song, hit record and went for it..
When I was done I felt strangely ashamed, as if grandma walked into my bedroom and saw my "morning glory" peeking from underneath the sheets..

Time to listen...
First I was like "aaaaaaaarrrrgggghh"

But actually..

It was ok, It was in tune, the sound was allright, I COULD SING! (at least a bit)

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Good advice - the first time I ever sang in front of people was my freshman year in college - me and a buddy of mine were playing acoustic guitars, and everyone was wasted and singing along. STP's "Plush," I think, was the one I joined in on.

Between the alcohol, the numbers, and the fact I'd only known everyone in the room a few months, it wasn't that big a deal. :lol:

I actually tend to do better playing/speaking in front of large numbers of people than in front of two or three - when it's just a couple people, it's very personal, but as the numbers go up, it becomes anonymous. It's weird... After the initial blast of adrenaline and the first ten seconds, I think I'd be fine playing in front of 50,000 people, but I still feel weird whenever someone asks me to play for them.

-Drew

·
Registered
453 Posts
ibaraki_gaijin said:
Heh,
I live in Japan a country where people do karaoke for 5 hours at a time sober..
you constantly have to sing in front of friends and co workers who see u everyday and are quite capable of making your life a misery if you suck as much as i do!
Still i think its compulsory and after 1 year out here i have little problem singing infront of anyone despite the fact that i make an a** of myself everytime!
I hear you bro. I was surprised that so many Japanese people can't sing but the spirit of "getting up and having a go" is alive and well. I stick to Oasis songs, SO easy to sing. My Aussie girlfriend has a four octave range and has been singing and teaching singing for 20 years. Can't wait till she gets over here and starts kicking people's asses on the karaoke bar. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

btw, you never replied to me about my Jem10 for sale. Did I scare you off?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.