Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up my 10th Ibanez guitar. My dream Ibanez would be a DNA. Since only 300 were made, there must be some interesting stories on how you acquired yours. So how did you get your DNA?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Your best bet is eBay and the classifieds at this site. You can always post a WTB add here and see if members react.
DNA´s are difficult to get and pricey because there are only 300, but i´m guessing you know that already ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I spent over a year looking for one. They do not come up often as many owners will not part with them. I finally found one in the classifieds here, it was in England, factory new with original strings still on it 10 yrs later. Had a great swirl, all paperwork, case, COA, etc. I jumped on it. Cost me a small fortune in conversion rate and import duties but in the end, I got my favorite guitar of all time. When I met Steve at the EVO Experience last Sept I brought it with me and he signed it on the back of the headstock. I don't play it, in fact it's never been played, it's pretty special to me and I hope to leave it to my kids someday. Considering my long lust/search for it, Vai signature and overall rarity, it's my most prized possession and of all my guitars, I'll never part with it!! I wish you luck in finding one, if I come across another I will PM you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I saw one come up on eBay or a crazy price of $8500.

I spoke to him and flew out to Japan to go get it.

I got to see Tokyo over the weekend whilst the hotel looked after the DNA in their vault. I charged around Tokyo like I was on a mission and didn't stop not even to sleep on the second night. I ate Kobe beef, drank with locals, met an American couple who emigrated there years back so got advice, drank a huge double test tube of beer, met some Japanese girls who were impressed with everything I said, went to an English bar an an upmarket one with people dressed very nicely, went on the subways bought some stuff in the stores, played an arcade game, i even won a prize in one of those machines like the claw. went to Burger King for lunch, went to the robot store, got chased down by Godzilla (later turned out to be a kid wearing a Godzilla T-shirt) sung karaoke, walked around bad areas, got offered sex 4 times, even at 6.30am. Made my flight back by two minutes due to miscalculation of time, got upgraded over the tannoy system in the airport and then watched 6 movies on the flight back and had breakfast an lunch on the plane in the same sitting.

This is what I flew out to Japan to buy for 8gs.

I play this guitar and rotate with the rest that I own eg uv77re and pmc etc. I don't care if Steve vai signs it or not as his blood is already in it under the laquer which I consider to be the most personalised guitar in history. Better than princes purple rain guitar or hendrix's burnt guitar.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I saw one come up on eBay or a crazy price of $8500.

I spoke to him and flew out to Japan to go get it.

I got to see Tokyo over the weekend whilst the hotel looked after the DNA in their vault. I charged around Tokyo like I was on a mission and didn't stop not even to sleep on the second night. I ate Kobe beef, drank with locals, met an American couple who emigrated there years back so got advice, drank a huge double test tube of beer, met some Japanese girls who were impressed with everything I said, went to an English bar an an upmarket one with people dressed very nicely, went on the subways bought some stuff in the stores, played an arcade game, i even won a prize in one of those machines like the claw. went to Burger King for lunch, went to the robot store, got chased down by Godzilla (later turned out to be a kid wearing a Godzilla T-shirt) sung karaoke, walked around bad areas, got offered sex 4 times, even at 6.30am. Made my flight back by two minutes due to miscalculation of time, got upgraded over the tannoy system in the airport and then watched 6 movies on the flight back and had breakfast an lunch on the plane in the same sitting.

This is what I flew out to Japan to buy for 8gs.

I play this guitar and rotate with the rest that I own eg uv77re and pmc etc. I don't care if Steve vai signs it or not as his blood is already in it under the laquer which I consider to be the most personalised guitar in history. Better than princes purple rain guitar or hendrix's burnt guitar.
The fact you play it, means more then any part of that story :p

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw one come up on eBay or a crazy price of $8500...
Sounds like a great adventure carlosyabrudy! And very glad to hear that you play your DNA! ^ ^

·
Registered
195 Posts
I play it and when I'm done with any of my guitars I wipe down the strings to make the strings last longer. When I receive a guitar I put it through the planet waves treatment of polish, caranauba wax and layer on outside with fretboard condition with lemon oil etc and clean it up.

A guitar is for playing and I'm gonna die one day. When I'm dead I won't care about anything. When I'm alive I want to use them. It's a great player and not just for show.

Play your instruments. It's what they got made for.

You don't put hot women in a glass case. You screw em! No offence to females in any manner as I have the utmost respect but imagine if your DNA had feelings. It would question your desire for it. Lets get my fingerprints over this baby. Great way to prove its yours if its stolen too!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
A guitar is for playing and I'm gonna die one day. When I'm dead I won't care about anything. When I'm alive I want to use them. It's a great player and not just for show.

Play your instruments. It's what they got made for.
Truer words have not been spoken!

Well done and a beauty of a DNA you have!!!! Great story on how you got it!

:)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That's an awesome story carlosyabrudy. Japan is definitely a place I want to visit at some point.

My story's not much of a story. I had placed an order in 2001 for a Jem 7VWH. But, while waiting for it, I decided to start searching for music stores online in Australia and noticed one store in QLD had a new DNA listed (no pictures) at an exorbitant price.

So, I called up my guy at the music store and asked him about it. He said he was friends with someone at Australis (Aussie Ibanez distributor) and he'd make some phone calls and call me back.

Long story short, the guitar was actually on display at Australis in their foyer in a glass case. The last "new" DNA in Australia.....and I ended up buying it, site unseen.

Within a week I got the phone call telling me it had arrived in the store, and that they will let me open it. They hadn't seen one before either. The wait was painful, I didn't know what the swirl would look like. I had no idea.

When I showed up at the store nearly everyone that was working there gathered around. Opened the box first, then the heavy case, mused at the sleeping bag the guitar was in....and slowly took it off.

I think I was smiling for days, weeks, after that.

Such a pretty thing. It was also the first swirl I had ever seen in the flesh. I don't think the pics on the net prepare you for it. Swirls really are different up close.

Ibanez Jem 2k DNA number 285 front_close by wilch, on Flickr

Ibanez Jem 2k DNA number 285 rear_close by wilch, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Here's my amazing story:

One day about 13 years ago, I walked into Manny's Music. There, I spoke to a guy behind the counter. I asked him to order one for me. He did. A few weeks later, he called me. I went back to Manny's and picked it up.

And that is the story of how I got my DNA. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Bastards all of you :) A DNA is my absolute dream guitar, I don't own one so I am jealous of you all. I do however own an original Universe MC.

Great stories to all.

carlosyabrudy if you ever come to Sydney, look me up, I would love to have a beer with you, you sound like an absolute bundle of laughs.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
450 Posts
Here's my amazing story:

One day about 13 years ago, I walked into Manny's Music. There, I spoke to a guy behind the counter. I asked him to order one for me. He did. A few weeks later, he called me. I went back to Manny's and picked it up.

And that is the story of how I got my DNA. :D
Jason is this one no 109?... That's always been my favourite.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.