Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Loosen strings, remove springs at the back, carefully, pop trem off, unscrew pickguard, lift carefully, turn over to do your business, then reverse the process? I prefer this because at least my strings don't get too twisted and tangled. It also avoids the sharp ends of the strings from scratching anything. This is what I did for my strat project monster.

Why do you want to remove it anyway?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Leave the strings on, then when you put everything back it should have stayed in tune and all...

if you loosen the strings youre gonna have to set it up again, and we all know what a bitch that is with floyds...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll want to change her pickguard once I get it also..
Leave the strings on? doesn't something screw up when you pop the trem out if the strings are still there?
I never had a floating bridge and a full trem system so im aware that this could be a dumb question

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
nothing will happen with the strings still on the trem. A lot of people pull the trem with the strings on it do to various work on their ax, it is a lot easier then re-doing everything. Rich and jemsite have good details for how to do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check this link out for how to remove the trem. htp://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/remove.htm
It's got everything you need to know. I just did this yesterday, it's really simple. Just take the screws out of the pickguard and it will come off. Take the pickguard off slowly so you don't break any wire connections. good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmm, I totally don't get this, why do you want to go through the trouble of removing the whole trem just to pop off the pickguard?

When I was installing a new pickup in my RG, I just block the bridge, took off all the string(going to change them for a new set anyway), pop off the pickguard, change the pup, pop the pickguard back in, restring, tune to pitch, lock everything, unblock the bridge, fine tune a little and done.

Removing the bridge with the strings on seems like a better idea (as you save some time from not needing to retune and all) but I bet my method is faster than removing the whole bridge and springs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Removing the bridge your first time may take 15 minutes or so, (which is still faster than it takes me to restring my guitar) but after a few times of removing the bridge, while still being cautious, it could be done in as little as a few minutes and it doesn't have the hassle of tuning very much or locking and unlocking things and, to me at least, it's just easier than changing the strings. (which I should be doing alot more anyway :~).)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts