Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an RT650, RG750, Sterling JP50 and OLP Wolfgang. All of them play wonderfully but do I want 4 guitars? I don't know. I'm moving soon and don't know if I can keep them with me.

If I were to keep like... one... HOW DO I KNOW? Some are sentimental. Some are just awesome. All of them are both.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Every time I buy another guitar I justify it by saying that I'll sell a couple to recoop the money... but I quite never get around to selling the other guitars. Since I got back into playing years ago I've only sold two guitars, an RG3XXV and a Charvel Predator, both of which I REALLY regret selling. Now I think I have accumulated 13 guitars? Running out of room and some never get played anymore, even though they are good guitars. I just get attached to them for some reason... I know I NEED to get rid of some, but it's so hard to let them go. It would be so hard to just pick 3 or 4 to keep... so I guess I am no help at all.

·
Registered
451 Posts
For me it's about can any of my other guitars achieve the same sound? Like for example if you have more than one guitar that have a HH configuration and they can achieve the same sort of sound... Then pick which one of those you prefer over the other. I had a js24p, and a js100 that I had had a custom neck made for. Both had essentially the same sound. I wound up selling the js24p to buy a radius with a HSH configuration. My js100 with the custom neck and a gotoh floyd and dimarzio pickups... It plays just as nice as the js24p. It also cost me half of what I paid for the js24p. If you can achieve the same characteistic sound with more than one guitar... I say start there.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm on 5 electrics and an acoustic. Which is about the limit space wise, so the dreaded one in one out rule has been in operation for a few years now..

I've sold a few. Some I hugely regret (Jem 777VBK in particular). Some I kinda regret (Fender Tele 52 reissue). Some I'm not bothered (JS100, Lawsuit era SG, J Custom 1602).

I wish i knew the secret.. The 'do I have a guitar that can already do that?' test mentioned before is one trick. But I'd advocate the 'unless it's an original JEM' modifier... Or you'll end up like me.. Still wondering about the one that got away ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got rid of two that I weren't using.

I bought an RG7321 last year because I wanted a 7 string (never had one before). I liked it enough to spring for an RG1527Z which has the locking trem. I then saw an RG1527 (Edge Pro) in a color that I liked more for a much better price. I bought that one too. I then sold the RG1527Z and RG7321 since I wasn't using them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I compare new purchases (and old guitars) to my current best guitars. I just sold off the last 90's Ibanez Universe I had because the AANJ 7-strings that I have just have that extra benefit and I play those more.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I'm at nine and sometimes I feel that's too much. I've been using mostly fixed bridge lately. I don't often play the RG1570 but when I do I'm reminded how much I love it. Same with other guitars on the "possible sell" list that I never end up selling. It does keep the GAS in check though. Part of me still wants a purple neon RG550 but I already have the RG20th. I'm tempted to get another RG HH fixed bridge (that purple RG652AHMFX is gorgeous!!!!) but how much different is it really than my RG521?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you serious!?!? STOP SNIVELING and KEEP THEM ALL!
Think of them each as, hmm...let's say...as fingers, and you won't consider getting rid of any of them!
Obviously(?!) I kid, yes?
BUT.... Not really. I have just over 100 in total, so I could be a bad place to turn for advice on this.
My basement is like the dude at Hotel California, "We are programmed to receive..."
Yeah, or... well... maybe more like a roach motel: Axes check in, but they don't check out!
Seriously, though.....refer to line 1.
Yeah... Then line 2.
LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh great a solicitor! Let the spam of uselessness begin. "Headphones", "speakers", garbage galore! Listen to me I'll force you to "ignore". 🤯🔫

·
Registered
451 Posts
Forgive my assumption of being a solicitor/spammer, I guess just a solicitor then? I came to the conclusion due the fact that the first two posts you made were in relation to selling speakers... (I believe they were floor standing speakers) on another thread on this forum, and then headphones on this thread!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Forgive my assumption of being a solicitor/spammer, I guess just a solicitor then? I came to the conclusion due the fact that the first two posts you made were in relation to selling speakers... (I believe they were floor standing speakers) on another thread on this forum, and then headphones on this thread!
Your not wrong.
"Home theater" "Surround sounds" "piano lessons"

He's soliciting. Not yet a spammer but no place for that here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts