Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you replace knife edges on Schaller floyds?

Hey all!

I have a set of brand new knife edges that I got from Schaller and I want to replace them on my 19 year old Schaller Floyd Rose.

My question is how does one take the old knife edge out? It looks to be in place very firmly and I can't think of a way to get it out.

Anyone did this already?

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
I would suggest posting up a picture of the bridge (where the edges install) so we can guide you better. I would be willing to bet there are not a lot of "19 year old Schaller Floyd Rose" bridges being used on here.

Take some pics and we will do our best.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Most likely they are pressed in -- which means you will need a press to push out the old ones and push in the new ones. Pics would help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey! Thanks for posting.

I have pictures, but I can't post any pics or links until I have 20 posts.

I don't have a press. And how does the press look like btw?

EDIT:
-removed the links-

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
These edges don't look that bad (in this pic), but it appears they press in from the side. I think the only person here who has even attempted such a thing my be Rich Harris.

Take a picture of the underside of the edge, and from the side.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yes, it looks like they pull out toward the studs (toward the neck). (Could be from the bottom, but i'm guessing no from these pics.) Put the trem in a vise and try pulling the knife out with pliers -- see what happens. It depends on how tight they are. Getting the old ones out is the hard part. But post a pic of the bottom side. There may be a plate holding them in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, here's a pic of the bottom side:

-LINK REMOVED-

(This is from my other Schaller btw - I have 2 atm, but they are both the same)

I was thinking about pliers too, but there's not a lot of place to grip on to with pliers and I'm afraid of ruining the knife edges that are now on (like breaking them apart) and then not being able to pull them ouf with pliers.

I didn't take the picture from the side, but the only way to get them out is to pull them out towards the neck side (as ryanb said).

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
I agree that they appear to come out the front, but again they don't look to be in need of replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.

But the floyd goes of tune after heavy dives/pulls.

Strings are stretched, nut is ok (no slippage), chapstick on knife edges and trem posts, don't know what could be wrong.

Posts are a little used though..probably previous owner didn't take proper care of them and I should try replacing those first...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts