Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen some different methods and now i have a non locking type guitar, the method of wrapping the string at the tuner post and securing it is more important...

personally i just take the string and wrap it round beneath the hole entrance without putting it through the hole... usually 2 wraps around and then through the hole and then with the excess string- kink an angle in the the opposite way from the wraps to secure it... however i have no idea if that is right or not..

IS there the 'best' way?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Nuno has good advice. Too many uneven wraps will cause the string to slip and too few wraps will also cause slippage.

I go around two or three full wraps on the wound strings and three to four on plain strings. I saw a cool diagram in an ESP pamphlet I just read last night that showed a cool technique for plain strings.

Here's what it says:

1. Insert string into post leaving a little slack for winding
2. Wrap string around post (clockwise for bass side and counter-clockwise for treble side) and go under the string where it goes into the post
3. Pull the string tight over itself making a sort of knot or "hook" around the original string where it goes into the post
4. Tune to pitch, making sure the wraps wind neatly down the post.

I wish I could post the diagram - it is very obvious what they describe when you see the pic. Hope that helps.

edit - Your pic didn't show up the first time I read your post but now I see you showing the proper way of stringing (for me and many other forumites) for a TREMMED guitars but he was asking about fixed bridge guitars. That still doesn't take away from your good advice ;)

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Goto espguitars.com and click into "support" and then click "owners manual" for the PDF file showing a pic of what I was describing - I think it is the second page of the manual.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The ball ends up by the tuners looks cheezy JMO.If the works for you all is good.
There are several ways to wrap and lock your strings at the tuners try them all and see which way works for you.It is very important to have the winding go down the post to get proper down force/angle over the nut.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't remember where I learned it but, for non locking guitars...

Put the string through the post
Wind 1 wrap around the top of the post hole
Then 2-3 windings under the post

Doing it this way it is supposed to pinch the string where it goes through the
post hole

-Keith

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I don't remember where I learned it but, for non locking guitars...

Put the string through the post
Wind 1 wrap around the top of the post hole
Then 2-3 windings under the post

Doing it this way it is supposed to pinch the string where it goes through the
post hole

-Keith
That works great. Since the posts are tapered in the middle it holds (pinches) the string nicely to keep it from slipping.

Staying clean on your wraps is one of the most important factors aside from securing the string.

Nothing cheesy to me about ball ends at the post. Rich (ibanezrules.com), the King of Ibanez setups, swears by that method. I have been tempted to dip the ball ends in paint so as not to have the rainbow effect across my headstock but decided, "fug it, it ain't worth it".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.