Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
I have always been a big fan of the H/S/S configuration, but now that i have acquired a RG 1570 i think that the neck humbucker gives lots of versatility, however, lacks of that fat ,kind of """"""percussive"""""" sound of the single p'up ...
Then i heard about the coil spliting mode (i know, i know, what a retard... it has been there for a long time, but i didnt have any idea!) and i wanted to ask you guys, how that thing works? how can i instal that thing on my guitar? can you "split" any humbucker out there?, and most importantly, does it sound like a real Single coil when is splited?????

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Coil splitting only works on 4 wire conductor humbuckers. Essentially all your doing is shorting one coil of the pickup so it's no longer wired in series or parallel to the other coil. You can install a coil tap to split a humbucker on any guitar, you just need to replace either the volume pot or tone pot with a push-pull pot and wire it accordingly. (or you could install a mini toggle switch).

As for sound, your mileage will vary here. Some humbuckers sound better in single coil configuration than others. Why not try a Dimarzio Humbucker from hell?? It's a humbucker that sounds like a single coil(with the output of a humbucker)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answer...
the thing about the humbucker from hell is that it haves soooooooooooo much treble, lacks of warmness , i was thinking in spliting the seymour duncan jazz model (on neck position) , what about this pickup?
Where can i purchase the coil tap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts